Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
The VF LS3 engine has a sensor mounted on OS side of the sump guessing this is where it is measured from. The VE 6L did not appear to have same.

KiwiKud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF II Motorsport Edition
I have performace menu enabled and looking at the engine temp. The coolant gets up to 100 degrees in 5-6 min, but the engine oil temp takes at least 10-15 min to hit 100 degrees
How do you enable the performance menu?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I once ran Penrite ten tenths full zinc 10w 40 in my L77. It didn't like it at all. I went straight back to Penrite Enviro Plus 5w40 and it loved it. Still does. 90,000k's, with plenty of tacho romping and redline gear shifts and it's still quite as a mouse.
Ahh ok,what do you mean it didnt like it?
Does your 6.0 have piston slap?
Well maybe i wont run it then,my tuner actually recommended 15/50 ten tenths.
He was telling me the reason the roller tips on the lifters fail over time is because of the thin oil causing the oil film to be too thin and causing the roller to slip on the cam,all new to me.
Dont quote me on that because it is all his words,i know sweet fa about that lol.
Id love to know what oil toyota put in when i bought the wagon from them,ive not had a single issue with the oil they used,might look into it.
Spoke to toyota and they used mobil 5w30 formula s which to the best of my knowledge is semi synth,motor runs great with no noise and dosent burn any oil.
Pretty sure it only comes in 205 drums so maybe a workshop special oil lol
Might just try penrite enviro+ gf 5w30 and see how it goes,penmrite recommend it for the 6.0,it runs fine on 5w30 so i dont see the need to change it to a thicker oil yet.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ahh ok,what do you mean it didnt like it?
Does your 6.0 have piston slap?
Well maybe i wont run it then,my tuner actually recommended 15/50 ten tenths.
He was telling me the reason the roller tips on the lifters fail over time is because of the thin oil causing the oil film to be too thin and causing the roller to slip on the cam,all new to me.
Dont quote me on that because it is all his words,i know sweet fa about that lol.
Id love to know what oil toyota put in when i bought the wagon from them,ive not had a single issue with the oil they used,might look into it.
Spoke to toyota and they used mobil 5w30 formula s which to the best of my knowledge is semi synth,motor runs great with no noise and dosent burn any oil.
Pretty sure it only comes in 205 drums so maybe a workshop special oil lol
Might just try penrite enviro+ gf 5w30 and see how it goes,penmrite recommend it for the 6.0,it runs fine on 5w30 so i dont see the need to change it to a thicker oil yet.
Yeah, it simply had some cold start valve train noise. It was during winter too. It left me a bit worried about engine wear. So, i changed straight back to 5w40 and it was singing a sweet tune again when cold (and hot). Personally I wouldn't go a more viscous oil in the low temp range. That's when all the wear happens hey. i like the Penrite Enviro 5w40 so much, because it's approved by GM for use in my engine (no warranty issues), it is less viscous when cold, so flows to all the essential areas, like big end and crank bearings quicker and so achieves pressure sooner, and at normal operating temp is more viscous than a 30 weight. The engine runs really smooth on it too. So for mine, it's a win/win/win.
No piston slap on my L77, nor any of the numerous LS's we've owned. My Son's LS3 Clubby has near enough to 200,000k's on it and runs beautiful. All we ever do is run good oil and change oil and filter at around 7-8 thousand k's. It works for me.

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
It's usually about 100 degrees. Varies by less than 5 degrees up or down depending on driving conditions/traffic

Oil temp does not fluctuate much
Usually around 105 degrees with couple degrees up or down. Never seen it go above 108 degrees..
I also have the performance menu enabled...my water temp can vary 15C depending on driving conditions. Oil temp is like yours...usually around 105. It surprised me that the oil temp takes at least 10 min of driving before reaching operating temp. Before getting the performance menu, I thought that the car was good to go via the water temp gauge..clearly not. (My cars done 12k km, no noises yet, fingers crossed)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My old V6 was the same, took twice as long to get the oil up to temp compared to coolant.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
I drive mine very gingerly and slowly for the first 5 minutes along the neighbourhood roads until I get onto main roads by which time she's warmed up. People hammer past me. I don't care - she's given time to warm up. Nearly five years and 87K km later she sounds and drives as well as ever. That along with 7.5K oil/filter changes seems to have kept her running well.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't care - she's given time to warm up. Nearly five years and 87K km later she sounds and drives as well as ever. That along with 7.5K oil/filter changes seems to have kept her running well.
I had to laugh at 87K. My Alloytec has 275K on it and still runs like new. Possibly better than new. 5W40 is good stuff. It seems to be a viscosity that the cheap imitation Synthetic labels stay away from like the 'Everyday Synthetics', ie the semi Synthetics pretending to be something more.