Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yeah read this one yesterday too, just shows if you stick to your guns consumer advocacy groups can get you warranty.

never be afraid to push back people - works for more than just cars!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
"Value Motors’ expert at the hearing, automotive engineer Karl Pemberton, said piston slap on this type of engine was “extremely common” and there was no evidence of mechanical failure."

"on this type of engine" Wish he elaborated on exactly what makes an LS3 bottom end so far removed from many other internal combustion engines.
"extremely common" With that choice of words, he's probably already flipping burgers. Can of worms has been opened. Should the engine have slap when cold or not? It can't be both.
"no evidence of mechanical failure" True, just possible accelerated wear, but why mention that!

I think if there was a new model to go to, Holden would have a lot of people like Mr Wilson pushing for the same thing and not only for piston slap.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
As most people here know Holden replaced my engine after 35000km due to really bad piston slap.
The new motor has now done 7000km and I am starting to hear it again. Nowhere near as bad as the first time but still audible....Most people would not notice it..
I do think that most engines have this but level varies based on internal tollerances...
Pure chance really...which pistons will join which block on the assembly line...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Saw this yesterday,just because piston slap is common it doesnt mean its acceptable,bloody holden....almost like saying yeah we know the motors are rubbish but theres so many knocking ls3s its classed as normal.
Im glad i didnt hold out for an ls3.....that little bit of extra power isnt worth the grief of owning one!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
As most people here know Holden replaced my engine after 35000km due to really bad piston slap.
The new motor has now done 7000km and I am starting to hear it again. Nowhere near as bad as the first time but still audible....Most people would not notice it..
I do think that most engines have this but level varies based on internal tollerances...
Pure chance really...which pistons will join which block on the assembly line...
If i were you Ron id be speaking to a lawyer and going the same way as the guy in nz.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's sad to think that there are going to be a lot of VFII's in wrecking yards with stuffed motors in a few years. GM is doing their best to kill the Legacy of Holden/Commodore.

Rather than a replacement motor it may be better to push for a rebuilt unit, one with proper piston to bore clearances because you really don't know what you are getting with another GM crate motor.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I wonder how many days later before the car was on a dealers lot somewhere up for sale to some other unsuspecting buyer?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It's sad to think that there are going to be a lot of VFII's in wrecking yards with stuffed motors in a few years. GM is doing their best to kill the Legacy of Holden/Commodore.

Rather than a replacement motor it may be better to push for a rebuilt unit, one with proper piston to bore clearances because you really don't know what you are getting with another GM crate motor.

I'd pointed this out before, a rebuild by a reputable engine builder is the better option for the customer plus you get to keep your original engine number which can mean much at resale for those who intend to keep the car for a long time.

To swap in a new engine is the cheaper option for Holden but it doesn't necessarily mean the customer gets a better engine plus the you now own a non-matching number car.

If it happened to my car I'd be willing to pay the extra cost for the rebuild over the cost of the installation of the crate engine.