Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap or hydraulic lifters?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Since these LS3 powered vehicles people test drive before purchase don’t sound like tractors, it could be that the dealer is hand picking test vehicles or warming them up prior to any test drives to hide this “normal condition“ as Holden likes to call. If that’s the case it would be deceptive conduct and/or product misrepresentation under Australian consumer law.

Also, nobody would knowingly buy a petrol engine that sounds likely tractor for the 10 to 15 minutes it takes until it warms up. Nobody would buy a vehicle knowing it would only lasted for some 60k - 70k kms before it started to sounded like a tractor before it warmed up.

A normal consumer would consider such sounds to be unacceptable in a modern vehicle, even if cold. As such, under ACL this would be considered a major defect as the owner wouldn’t have bought the vehicle knowing such noise would occur.

I’d be looking at making a claim under you ACL statutory warranty and expecting Holden to foot the rebuild costs by a reputable engine builder (since any replacement factory LS3 can have the same issues later) OR take back the car and provide full purchase price refund.

Don’t wait too long as you may be left holding the bill with no one to pass it too.

GM seems to be putting an ultimatum to dealers to accept their franchise com deal so the complete and utter disappearance of Holden may occur quicker than expected. At the end of the day they can simply walk away from any of their obligations by winding up the ABN#... and blame it all on COVID19 and the Chinese :oops:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Since these LS3 powered vehicles people test drive before purchase don’t sound like tractors, it could be that the dealer is hand picking test vehicles or warming them up prior to any test drives to hide this “normal condition“ as Holden likes to call. If that’s the case it would be deceptive conduct and/or product misrepresentation under Australian consumer law.

Also, nobody would knowingly buy a petrol engine that sounds likely tractor for the 10 to 15 minutes it takes until it warms up. Nobody would buy a vehicle knowing it would only lasted for some 60k - 70k kms before it started to sounded like a tractor before it warmed up.

A normal consumer would consider such sounds to be unacceptable in a modern vehicle, even if cold. As such, under ACL this would be considered a major defect as the owner wouldn’t have bought the vehicle knowing such noise would occur.

I’d be looking at making a claim under you ACL statutory warranty and expecting Holden to foot the rebuild costs by a reputable engine builder (since any replacement factory LS3 can have the same issues later) OR take back the car and provide full purchase price refund.

Don’t wait too long as you may be left holding the bill with no one to pass it too.

GM seems to be putting an ultimatum to dealers to accept their franchise com deal so the complete and utter disappearance of Holden may occur quicker than expected. At the end of the day they can simply walk away from any of their obligations by winding up the ABN#... and blame it all on COVID19 and the Chinese :oops:

You cannot get factory replacement LS3 engines anymore. Stock has been cleaned out.

As for the noise, just drive it easy until the engine warms up. I have one noisy engine and one quiet one. So far at 50k it hasn't got worse. It's much quieter with an oil change so thats what I'll do when its for sale :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Anthony121, whether LS3 replacements are available or not doesn’t detract from the fact that these engines are defective and a well argued case will get full refund under ACL (as was the case in NZ where a chap got full purchase price refund).

The fact no more LS3 engines are available through parts doesn’t bode well for Holden’s support of its customer base :oops:

PS: a 50% pass rate (as you’re experiencing) seems rather poor in my view o_O

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
@Anthony121, whether LS3 replacements are available or not doesn’t detract from the fact that these engines are defective and a well argued case will get full refund under ACL (as was the case in NZ where a chap got full purchase price refund).

The fact no more LS3 engines are available through parts doesn’t bode well for Holden’s support of its customer base :oops:

PS: a 50% pass rate (as you’re experiencing) seems rather poor in my view o_O

I think the LS3 QC went downhill, especially in the last 2 years of production, 2015-2017.
The VF/Chev SS were the last GM vehicles to use the LS3 OEM...

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
What I find interesting is that these LS3 Engines are fitted with Hypereutectic pistons which are designed for tighter clearances as well as durability. Regardless of this, many owners, including myself are experiencing Piston Slap. One positive I can take from it is I no longer trust the temp gauge before giving it a good rev. I now wait for the Slap sound to go which I think is a better guide.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What I find interesting is that these LS3 Engines are fitted with Hypereutectic pistons which are designed for tighter clearances as well as durability. Regardless of this, many owners, including myself are experiencing Piston Slap. One positive I can take from it is I no longer trust the temp gauge before giving it a good rev. I now wait for the Slap sound to go which I think is a better guide.

For oil temp to get to 100 degrees, takes are least 10-15 minutes in my experience. Temp gauge is about coolant temp. which only takes 5-10 min to get to operating temp.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Doesn't GM use recycled coke cans :p
So when it's noisy, think of how you're helping the environment :eek:
Ignore those throughts that GM has botched its QC/QA o_O

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Hypereutectic pistons are the type of alloy used they are cast not forged like the 4032 or 2618 alloys, they are closer to the 4032 as they also do not expand as much as the 2618 but that also makes them weaker

Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the original source material.