Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap or hydraulic lifters?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
That's good to know. Cheers

Any Holden dealer I ever went to could not give a crap. They are okay when they try and sell you the car...as soon as you sign the contract, they could not care less...

MB still sends from Germany, books, magazines, DVD's, calendars, key rings and other marketed materials linked to the VIN's of my E63 and first C63 and I purchased them over ten years ago.

I know they want to sell me new cars but it's an nice touch to let you know their computer database is still thinking about you.

Yeah the only contact I ever had from Holden is service reminders.

HSV is a little better but their marketing basically ceases after you've received the gift pack.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Thanks 3reddogs, good info and I will use this description in my pending (1a) video addition - Driving noise I hear is just noise when cold, but I don't believe my post video audio at idle and around 1500rpm could be called only 'a growl or soft background rattle at idle or low speeds at light loads ' - I and others also believe lifters are involved in my LS3 noises. Have you any video or audio you can share and what did Holden do to identify the noise was from the lifters, not just piston slap - what did Holden replace (how many Km's did you drive it for after the noise was heard and did the cam shaft lobes show damage? Lots of answers that would help greatly.
I have returned to posting mostly on my first post so that the videos can be easily compared - if anyone has their own piston slap and or lifter damage videos please post them there ... https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...under-acl-warranty-now-holden-is-gone.288383/
Again many thanks for everyone's help and suggestions - the picture is getting clearer by the day. While YouTube videos from the US are helpful, videos by Australian LS3 Holden owners on this site will help the most.

I will post some videos of mine which have also became a tractor on cold starts.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My middle son sat in the front seat on the weekend and asked why my engine was so noisy when it was cold. I told him it was piston slap! He said wow that is noisy!! I said it doesn't last long before it goes away.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My middle son sat in the front seat on the weekend and asked why my engine was so noisy when it was cold. I told him it was piston slap! He said wow that is noisy!! I said it doesn't last long before it goes away.

I find the faster I drive the less I can hear it.