Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plenum spacer/s, are they worth it?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hi, been reading allot about plenum spacers, i have a 25mm manifold spacer, would a plenum spacer really make any noticeable difference? ive read a fair bit on them and atm its even with weather they make any difference or not

looking for opinions from people that have installed a manifold spacer the plenum spacer and found a difference or from people that just just have a plenum spacer etc

cheers

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Nothing noticeable on it's own. I've heard good things when coupled with a manifold spacer though, noticeable low end torque, good mod when it's playing with other mods.

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore and S/C VX Calais
I'm interested to know. I have also read that there are supposed to be fuel consumption benefits with this aswell?

No offense to the guys from Mace, but at the end of the day, you are selling a product, so I would like to hear from people that have actually bought and fitted it to their cars, so u can see for myself what their outcome was.

Dan

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just some side info. from personal experience.

anything over a total of 25mm raising and you cannot fit the engine cover on still.
25mm raised in total and the cover will most likely sit and just touch on the bonnet. (well thats how mine sits)

I'm interested to know. I have also read that there are supposed to be fuel consumption benefits with this aswell?

Dan

i have 12mm and 12mm. they feel barely different from stock. maybe a bit extra down low but was more a placebo effect.
having only them improved fuel economy by about 20% which was pretty cool (went from 10L to 8L per 100 on the highways)

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
I like the idea of better fuel economy as my VT is my daily and I'm looking for comfort and fuel economy over power gains(although any power gain obtained is always welcome!).

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ever wondered why they are not fitted in the factory as standard?......

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute

no but do elaborate.
i would assume its to do with emissions, cost and a whole variety of things.
but i would like to find out the answer.

not being sarcastic, actually asking a serious question

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto

VS had enough power to rival competition and passed emissions at the time. Why waste R&D dollars

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride

To be honest NO, because Holden are renowned for restricting the power from their motors. Look at the LS1, Holden choked it as standard, yet a simple tune can unlock a lot of power that is hiding within!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
no but do elaborate.
i would assume its to do with emissions, cost and a whole variety of things.
but i would like to find out the answer.

not being sarcastic, actually asking a serious question

Read the article in the link, but put simply, there seems to be little if any improvement or advantage in insulating the plenum chamber otherwise they would be fitted standard to all cars when new. Car makers will spend millions and employ the best engineers available to do research into extracting just a few more Kw so they can have a power advantage over their competitors - plenum spacers would seem to be a cheap way of getting those extra Kw...if they worked.
I've snipped this from Tony's fuel saving site:"Performance increases are usually just users reporting "my car feels quicker now" (memorably described by one US commentator as a "butt dyno".) What kind of evidence is that? It's hard for a driver to detect small changes in performance, and measures such as 0 - 60 time are extremely dependant on driving style. There are objective ways to measure car performance, the main ones being in-gear acceleration times and "before and after" rolling road measurements. Companies selling devices that genuinely improve performance (such as "chipping" upgrades) always quote measurements of this sort, and they are not difficult or expensive to do. So when somebody claims a performance increase but doesn't have any data of this sort to back it up, ask yourself why. (Also note that variations of two or three percent on rolling-road tests are not at all unusual, due to such things as changing air temperature, so unless there are several "with" and "without" repeats an apparent improvement of this level is insignificant.)
Unbiased, Independent Dyno Test: VQ35DE RevUp + Plenum Spacer - Page 4 - MY350Z.COM Forums