Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plenum spacer/s, are they worth it?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
i still dont see why everything has to be about "power"

I guess it is a rather loosely use term. I see what you mean.

How do these plenum spacers affect 1/4 mile time? I watched a episode of Scottys garage, he said they port and polished the heads on a VN V6 and gained a few KW on the dyno but it took something like 4 tenths of a second off the 1/4 mile time.

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore and S/C VX Calais
Why are you people going made about this? you cant feel anything under 10kw on your "butt dyno" and I dont think you could gain more than that from putting a piece of wood in your motor.

Who's going mad? I am however a bit lost about the whole "bolt-on's don't add any power" comment...

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Who's going mad? I am however a bit lost about the whole "bolt-on's don't add any power" comment...

Sorry, but I didn't mean no as in zero power. like adding 5kw is not going to put a grin on your face haha

The amount some people waste on bolts ons they could have almost put a nice cam in their car and make a decent power gain.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Sorry, but I didn't mean no as in zero power. like adding 5kw is not going to put a grin on your face haha

The amount some people waste on bolts ons they could have almost put a nice cam in their car and make a decent power gain.

finally some sense........well put. The discussion is not about IF the product makes a difference to the car, YES IT DOES, but how much difference, for what cost and if the difference is a positive one.

Altering plenum volume does not guarantee an increase in performance. Go read the laboratory report previously referenced and you will see all the poor results have been excluded from the report. And they did get results that were poorer than what they started with. That was clearly said at the beginning of the report.

If you just want one, then buy it and be happy. To be honest very few products are good value for money but we all buy them anyway.

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
yeah the mace products is great i had noticeable low end power gains i got the 25mmanifold insulator as-well as the bigger throttle body and loving it power gains i think the power gains are more in the manual v6 though next is the 12m plenum . but first next week i will be purchasing the high ratio roller rockers just still undecided on which to get lol
From previous correspondence I would go the 1.9’s

Interesting article to take into consideration when buying any type of spacer.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Throttle Body Spacer | eHow.com
What is your point, the topic isn’t about a throttle body spacer, which the context that article is presented in

anyone done a throttle body spacer on a buick, i reckon i could make one out of a spare throttle body elbow
It would work better on a ecotec, given the distance between the throttle body an middle runners. I say this as it would effectively increase the Reynolds number, basically making the air more turbulent. Why would greater turbulent flow be beneficial in this context (contrary to popular believe)? For the same reason that golf balls have dimples, turbulent flow (depending on the Reynolds number), is more compliant around negotiating sharp corners. In the case of the golf ball, the air remains over a greater length of the ball reducing wake, thus reducing overall drag (ball travels further)

In the case on an inlet manifold (in the case of the ecotec), it has a greater ability to diffuse/disperse across runners uniformly

However if you slow down the air speed enough (via say a plenum spacer) it has similar sort of properties without the pressure drop of a vortex shredding throttle body spacer

Have you ever eaten a piece of bread? Studies show that 100% of the people who have eaten bread at some stage later die........therefore eating bread must kill you.
Not a valid conclusion even though 100% of people who eat bread end up dying.
I am a little disturbed that an engineering company would provide data from a 4 cylinder motor with relatively unknown intake dimensions as positive endorsement that their own product, for a completely different 6 cylinder engine, must therefore show the same (or better) differences in performance. Engineers should not extrapolate data so dangerously and still pronounce it as valid.
I do not have an opinion on your product. Ford has used dual length intakes locally for 20 years or so for the reasons you are talking about and the general theory has been known for many decades. But it does disturb me that you would use an engineering report so loosely to support your product when I see little data of your own. I can only conclude that you either do not have your own measured empirical data or what you have does not make for a good read.
I understand where you’re coming from, however if you can find better presented article on the topic (not just some forum banter) I’d like to read, such as a SAE paper etc. Above all though I presented it to give a more detailed insight as to the behavior of the concept which wasn’t specific to the ecotec (clearly the research paper wasn’t on a ecotec). I thought it was quite interesting, which I found a few days ago so I posted it up

The testing that we’ve been done specifically with this product has been more practical testing from a fluid dynamic testing perspective, by using a clear Perspex lid and vapourised oil.

There seems to have been a fair few people who have fitted these spacers, and then have posted up that they have some small problems with how the car runs or idles etc, then they are finally told that they will probably need a tune so it will run properly, so then they gotta hand out more cash. Its the same with larger throttle bodies. It should be mentioned to the person buying the part that they will probably need to buy a tune as well so it runs properly. I cant believe people sell this stuff to the unaware without saying anything about the fact that that the car might not run correctly without a suitably tuned memcal fitted.
If people usually have a plenum spacer or manifold insulator, it’s very likely due to a vac leak. The reality though is that given the age of these vehicles it’s definitely not uncommon that there is an underlying issue. As for throttle bodies they can alter driveability (if it’s an auto). Depending on the variables and driving charecteristics it’s not an issue, however for others it is. We do mention this to people when contacted directly, we even have memcals and PCMs to suit (the larger TBs), however this definitely needs to be made clearer on our ads which are dated. I will happily wear this constructive feedback

From what i've been told by Steve in another thread, they expect a gain of about .2 -.4 of a second over the quarter mile. Or possibly that was their CAI, either way. This is about comparable to removing the spare wheel and putting the correct pressure in your tyres etc. So the gain for power is marginal at best.
But i would be happy to see some proof either from MACE themselves or from another workshop where tests were done back to back on the same day/same dyno to show the exact amount of change these spacers make.
Would you drive around like that day in day out? If you did you could always consider doing both?

Here is some additional feedback about the spacers, having knocked off .5 sec from 0-100km

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150987548113032&id=385604743031

Specifically about the plenum will be a write up in Str33t Commodores over the coming months, good bad indifferent. Until then, keep an eye on the thread below

Plenum Spacer for your LLT - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

When a plenum spacer has the ability to reduce knock by 80% under part throttle and a couple of degrees top end they can’t be all that bad. Bear in mind that the E69 ECM controller in the LLT V6 is very knock sensitive, given the high comp and aggressive ignition timing.

As for the manifold insulators there have been a number over the years, they’re on our site and more recently from the States

Why are you people going made about this? you cant feel anything under 10kw on your "butt dyno" and I dont think you could gain more than that from putting a piece of wood in your motor.
This is subjective to people’s standards/requirements.

As per above, coupled with their needs, requirements and budget

Last edited:

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore and S/C VX Calais

The problem I have with the comment is the term "bolt on's" is too general in meaning...

A Supercharger or turbo is a "bolt on" and I'm pretty confident that they will give a decent power gain..

I was interested in this thread and it's results because of the possibility of better fuel economy, not a search for power...

MACE

Reaction score
The problem I have with the comment is the term "bolt on's" is too general in meaning...

A Supercharger or turbo is a "bolt on" and I'm pretty confident that they will give a decent power gain..

I was interested in this thread and it's results because of the possibility of better fuel economy, not a search for power...

Funny you say that, because your post and Hako's were the main reasons I posted in this thread

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline

since when does either of those simply "bolt on" :p

I wasn't trying to say your product is crap Steve, just people shouldn't expect large gains with out doing lots of work haha

MACE

Reaction score
since when does either of those simply "bolt on" :p

I wasn't trying to say your product is crap Steve, just people shouldn't expect large gains with out doing lots of work haha

All good Jonah :D

I think people have to understand/appreciate that everyone has different needs and requirements, not everyone wants a 1500hp 7 second machine as a daily. I've been in customer's cars before with some serious mods and will drive like an 80 year old. Go figure!