Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Police sick of being videod on the job

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well done Shakespeare , would you say that to an officers face ? , or would you film it to see what their reaction would be .
Honesty , even being filmed for the police shows like motorway patrol or NZ ' s police 10- 7 makes me uncomfortable ( we can have them pixilated ) so not many officers are going to consent to a random smart phone being thrust in their face by an aspiring Martin Scorsese .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honesty , even being filmed for the police shows like motorway patrol or NZ ' s police 10- 7 makes me uncomfortable ( we can have them pixilated ) so not many officersn are going to consent to a random smart phone being thrust in their face by an aspiring Martin Scorsese .

Forgive responding to my own post , I'm on my iPhone and pressed the wrong icon
: )

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
So it's ok for them to film and record us when we are pulled over but not the other way around?

I'm in a bit late with this post, but this comment is typical of the utter ignorance the average person has about police work and the problems they face every single day.

Police do NOT film or record "pull-overs" simply to annoy the driver, or to gather biased evidence. One of the most common (probably THE most common) sources of complaint is aggrieved drivers complaining about being booked, usually making allegations about what the police officer said or did at the time. Recording the pull-over protects the police officer against malicious complaints. In-car video recording forwards and backwards from police vehicles also provides that protection, as well as recording evidence of crimes or offences being committed, but the main reason for the audio recording is to prevent malicious and unfounded complaints. And, unless the procedures have changed (in NSW at least - can't speak for other states), the driver is asked at the beginning of the pull-over if he/she has any objections to the incident being taped.

acarmody said as much in a previous post. Other posts relate to the fact that police tapes are permissible in court, whereas private recordings may not be. This is due to a number of factors.

1. Type of recording equipment used by police has to be tested and meet stringent standards to ensure quality of reproduction of evidence when required.
2. Police recordings are catalogued and retained in secure areas to guarantee continuity of evidence ( i.e. to ensure the evidence hasn't been manipulated or doctored and is an accurate representation of the event).
3. There ARE laws about filming in public which determine whether the film was obtained legally or not. Police are legally empowered to film incidents in which they are involved. You may not be.

Those recording you find on Youtube etc are usually of poor quality and only depict part of an incident. How often do you see one which shows the entire incident, from beginning to end? Not very often. The camera phone or whatever is usually activated after an incident starts, so the actual causal factors may not be obvious. All you end up seeing is the police wading in to sort out a fight or whatever, - you don't get the full story about how the incident started.

Police deal with the absolute scum of society every day and many shitbags think they are legal experts. They use every provocation known to man to try to anger or entrap the cop going about his job. Often, the media is waiting with cameras rolling, hoping for a cop to lose his cool and belt some bastard. Is it any wonder the police get fed up being filmed by every man and his dog?

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Calaber is right on the money , i
A lot if motorists or particular take the old chestnut , " why don't you catch some real criminals " line , what makes me chuckle is when they often claim to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of civil law , they more often than not don't , and quite often baiting the officer just to tip the scales in their favour , well that often can backfire in an failure to comply or obstruction arrest .

Last edited:

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Personally I see no issue with recording the interaction with Police. There is however the right way and the wrong way of doing things.

When the Police are in a public place, they have No expectations of privacy.
The Police are not above the law and if they are doing their job in accordance to the law, then they should not have anything to worry about.

I don't get upset or worried when I am recorded on CCTV at train stations or in the city or when walking into to some banks or other businesses.
I also don't feel any extra stress when I am recorded when driving on certain parts of our road system.

It is the way the world is heading these days, more and more we are all being recorded.
So why should there be a a different rule for the ones that are meant to be upholding/enforcing the law?

For those that say, if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear, tell that to people that have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time or had an interaction with one of the not so nice Police officers.

Why should they want a system of no accountability?? In a court of law if there is no physical evidence, then it is the Police officers word over yours. If you have video, then you can present it as part of your case.

I know we are nowhere near the level of corruption that the USA have in the Police force, but there are hundreds of videos on the net that have saved totally innocent people from convictions or even jail.