Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polishing your bananas

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
The main reason why I did it was that I had to take the manifold off the car to fix a coolant leak that I had. As it sat on the bench I though it would be a good time to go for it, so I worked full time on it from around 9 in the morning to 8 at night last Saturday and a few hours on Sunday to do a once over i.e. file/sand back some spots and to paint.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
man u sure no how2 do wonders with polishing..im still attempting to do my covers but im such a perfectionist that im not happy and im still tryin 2 wet sand it lol

i have to say when i saw the banana's on the car all polished, i did get excited...but GREAT job, u should do this for a lil extra cash on the side

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I was quoted anywhere between $200 to $300 to have it done, but don't forget that the manifold was already off the car. If it was still on the car it would have been even a bigger pr*ck of a job continually leaning over the guards etc and sending tiny bits of casting all over the place !

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
Well I was quoted anywhere between $200 to $300 to have it done, but don't forget that the manifold was already off the car. If it was still on the car it would have been even a bigger pr*ck of a job continually leaning over the guards etc and sending tiny bits of casting all over the place !

I'm halfway through doing this job with the manifold on the car lol. I would take it off if I could but its my daily so I cant! lot of hand sanding is needed to get it done as well so its a pain in the arse. I'm just doing it slowly whenever I get a spare bit of time soo might take a while longer

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
I'm almost getting a hard on....:yeah:

Incar2.jpg

mate, how did you get the paint around the banana's so perfect? It gets a bit dodgy when trying to get those tight spots shiny too and painting it makes it look 100 times better! would love to do the same thing :)

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just used a bucket load of 1/2" masking tape. I concentrate on getting the tape around the base of the curves and then go nuts with the tape on top of the bananas. About 5 minutes after I paint it I take all of the tape off and tidy up any runs, overspray or minor stuff ups with a few cotton buds dipped in acetone.

thomas0387

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
top job mate think i might steal ur idea. G unna give it a go buy myself lol.

thomas0387

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
top job mate think i might steal ur idea. G unna give it a go buy myself lol.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Go for it ! Don't forget that I had the manifold off to do it, but from what I have read it can be done while it's on the car but it's a real pr*ck of a job as it will be difficult to do the section of the bananas against the firewall and it makes a real mess when you first grind down the rough surface on the bananas. Perhaps its time to do the inlet manifold gaskets :whistling ????