Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ported or sealed sub box

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
iv never heard of porting them into the cabin before. plus ports have to be a certain length so probably just have the ports facing into the boot either on the front or side/s of the enclosure/s.

kyl'svs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS Berlina
one car audio place told me to do that ports would be behind middle back seat and different place said dont port.the sub was behind middle seat facing forward with port out the side into the boot.i was getting cancellation and i dont no if thats why?

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
im facing my 2 into my boot its a single box no internal wall, twin ports in between the subs one ontop of the other. it will give me perfect range of sq and spl with tuning.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ideally you need the ports facing the same as the sub. dunno why. but i am sure theres a good obvious reason.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Type S's suit sealed boxes... Subs have certain specs and if you put the Type S's specs into a box design program, it will tell you that it doesn't suit ported boxes and would be near impossible to make sound good.

Sealed boxes give a smooth frequency response, so they will be pretty much the same volume for most of the frequency range you'll play. They get quieter the lower the frequency, but the box size will determine how low that is.

Ported boxes allow you to "tune" the box to be loud at a certain frequency, so you can make it loud for midrange bass like rap and stuff, or make it peak down lower so it has a flatter response than a sealed box. But there are many things you have to take into accoutn with a ported box, like group delay, which is basically how quickly the sub will react to the music. A low group delay number is good, it will sound like a sealed box, but a high group delay will make it sound like it's lagging behind your speakers.

The Type S will have a high group delay in a ported box and will sound laggy.

Also, most rap and stuff which seems like low bass is actually around 35-40Hz... Not low at all.