Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Thermostat issue 2006 SV6

G1itch710

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6 / 1998 VT
Hi guys, so this last few weeks with this car has been a real pain, so orignally the core in the rad went, so we replaced the rad, and just tonight as we pulled into the driveway and shut the car off a whole heap of coolant came out from the back of the engine, im suspecting a possible thermostat faliure from the rad blowing, but im not sure, just looking for some insight, ive been made aware that the thermostats are on the back (yay! NOT) and this makes it expensive, does anyone have an estimate on how much this will cost?

Edit: just prior to it leaking a load of coolant out the back, i noticed the fans had kicked on too

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Better have a look in daylight, one of the o rings could have failed on the thermostat housing or it could be a heater hose or it could be coolant flowing down the valley from the front water neck.
Have a good look before you assume it's the thermostat housing.

G1itch710

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6 / 1998 VT
Better have a look in daylight, one of the o rings could have failed on the thermostat housing or it could be a heater hose or it could be coolant flowing down the valley from the front water neck.
Have a good look before you assume it's the thermostat housing.

Thanks for the info, will defiantly have a good look at it tomorrow :)

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Also check your filler cap - these usually fail by going soft - i,e releasing coolant before the top pressure has been reached, but can also fail by over pressuring - i.e not releasing. This may be what blew your radiator core . A new cap is a lot cheaper and easier to fix than a thermostat.

G1itch710

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6 / 1998 VT
Ok so i have an update, spent all morning looking, and running the engine, i discovered that when its warmed up and you rev it to 3000 RPM this happens, i caught it on video, its leaking at the back onto the drivers side valve cover and down and onto the exhaust, its above the thermostat, so maybe it isnt the thermostat after all

while it didnt leak that much this time, it came pouring out last night like the rad had blew again, but obv its not that this time lol

Edit: checked coolant cap and where the coolant inlet mounts to on the engine, no signs of coolant anywhere at the front of the engine at all, all the coolant leaking is at the back on the drivers side, i just know that its leaking from somewhere above or on the valve cover

video below

Last edited:

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
I think there is a couple of heater hoses there plus a valve arrangement to adjust heating - whp the cover off and you will see them! By the way - my VZ has red coolant not green ?

G1itch710

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6 / 1998 VT
I think there is a couple of heater hoses there plus a valve arrangement to adjust heating - whp the cover off and you will see them! By the way - my VZ has red coolant not green ?

alrighty, im gonna run it down to the mechanic tomorrow as i really dont have the tools of taking that part of the engine off, i did take it for a decent drive today and it didnt leak any coolant, just seems to be when the car accelerates to 3000 rpm and above it starts leaking and im still unsure why it poured a heap of coolant out last night, hasnt done that again, so hoping its just something simple, will report back tomorrow with what the mechanic finds

P.S yes i was made aware i had the wrong coolant type, gonna get my coolant changed to the proper stuff once the current issue is found and fixed

thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

G1itch710

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6 / 1998 VT
Ok, so finally found the issue, turned out being a coolant heater hose that connected into the LPG system, couldn't see it because a harness was over top of it, also yesterday my rad cap fell apart lol, 4 things went wrong with this car in 2 weeks, rad blew, battery went flat from the fans staying on trying to cool the engine down when it initially overheated, rad cap broke, and now the 5/8 heater hose, YAY VZ's are so cool...., i miss my VT lol

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sometimes it's better to have everything go wrong all at once, now hopefully you'll be right for a while.
Would be an idea to have a good look through the engine bay for anything else that looks like it's about to fail.
Radiators often seen to blow up at 200-250 thousand ks.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Shouldn't the coolant be red?