Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post V8 engine bay pics here

What would you rather have in your old Commodore?

• Old school Holden V8 (253-308)

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Old school Chev V8 (350 etc)

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • VN - VS EFI V8

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • VT - Recent EFI v8

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • JAP - Turbo or Chook cooker

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
vkberlina said:
OK heres mine its a little messy atm as the car is all appart for the respray

Im going to polish the intake manifold & engine covers down the track

Hmmm the only mess I can see is the inside of the radiator overflow bottle!!!
I spent weeks looking at every wreckers I could find. for a decent VL washer bottle. and every single one of them was either cracked along the top corner, or full of brown muck. I ended up finding one in a car that must have had an aftermarket on in it.
Other than that, that is a nice tidy engine bay!

How are you going about polishing the manifold etc? I was thinking of doing that down the track sometime. I am getting annoyed at my rocker covers, the oil cap doesnt stay in too well as they are all mushed up from the engine crane chains (it also would have paid to have taken out the dizzy, as it was the only electric on I had, and the shaft got bent when the motor got lifted off the ground)... yes. I think about these things.. AFTER it happens!! lol

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
i swear it was pink when i bought it!!!..previous owner even painted the brakes that colour.

vk berlina whats that cover at the front off? looks sweet not stuck on like mine

Attachments

• car 022.jpg
    car 022.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 2,695

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
The washer bottle thing is taken care of I actually have a brand new one to go on but not untill the car is finished. I still have wiring to tidy up around the back of the engine bay and down the side but its 98% completed.

The engine covers are VT series 1 covers but are pretty difficult to come by you will probably look at around $200 to buy a set you will need the front and side covers as they are completely different.

Polishing the rocker covers and engine covers is a bit of a pain, I am stripping the paint with 240grit on an orbital sander then giving them paying my younger cousin to sand the parts the machine cant get to. Once thats done Im giving them a wet sand with 800 wet & dry then with 1200 wet & dry. Once thats done its time to polish the covers. I use autosol with a cotton buffing wheel first then swap to a wool wheel for a final polish. I have plans to polish my intake manifold as well down the track.

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
Vr 5.0 V8 Eng-bay

This is mine, just use some hard work with cloth and kero...good for getting it clean, then get out the silicon spray just keep it away from the Acc belts, keep at it and before you know it its looking and glowing back at you!! Eveytime you get your head under there take two rags with you a little kero on one and some silicon spray on the other and get stuck in!!,thats the best way i find. I never use water blasters as they tend to take your paint and your stickers off! also they tend to put water where its not wanted, i:e Inside car,seals,gaskets.fuel lines.brakes and the likes. try and get too as much of the Eng-block and the back firewall as well.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Here's mine. And about hoses, two come to the air con compressor, two to the heater, two to the gas converter and another from the converter to the mixer.

I would get rid of all the gas if petrol was cheaper than it is. But then again, I am sure most people would, but I would rather have lots of hoses and get cheap fuel than no hoses and expensive fuel. :)

Last edited:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
It wouldn't get off the mark. Aren't those cars made out of plastic anyway?

watsonc

Reaction score
Cane_It said:
who evver voted for the chook cooker ricer motor needs to think about what theyve just suggested...

Hang on, wasnt the VL Turbo Six a Nissan motor?

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
New Black 308..

Is there a section for Hygiene...??Here's mine.Warmed 308.Shaved Gas Heads, Faced Block, new 4 Barrel & Manifold, New 40thou over Pistons & Rebored Block to suit, new Crank & Cam, new Radiator & Starter, Alt Etc, new Retro fitted Air Condernser.Not alot in this shot that's old, even the fuse box I replaced coz the other was broken.It neva goes anywhere.I keep it covered over & started evry few day.All I can smell is Armour all burning from all the Engine bay cleaning I do.....

Attachments

• Calais Eng Bay.JPG
    Calais Eng Bay.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 6,254
  • Calais Eng Bay(Driver Side).JPG
    Calais Eng Bay(Driver Side).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,720
  • Calais Eng Bay(Pass Side).JPG
    Calais Eng Bay(Pass Side).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,122