Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post VF, what do you drive?

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
Don't worry guys, I get you back. From 2018 it's very likely parallel import will be implemented. And either you can get LHD cars from UK or Japan , or modified it to RHD from US, as long as it comply with Aussie laws. If BMW, BENZ etc so cheap in US, get it to RHD and import here. Guess what, Chevy ss is quite likely going on. V8+RWD. I might spend extra 10,000 to change it to RHD lol.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
The difference would be because we are Aussies.
And because they can.

I havn't done the comparison myself but a lot of the price difference comes down to standard equipment and inclusions.

Eg. a C63 in the states might miss out on basics like rear parking sensors, sat nav, big brakes etc. but have them as options whereas they are all standard equipment on the C63 here.

The market over there is very different, where almost everything is an option and a base car contains very little.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In regards to the person who said C63s.

Awesome car but no way I'm prepared to be ripped off by MB.

Price in US in AUD $96,656
Price in AUS in AUD $169,054

Ok fine is there is $30k of taxes and maybe $10k shipping cost. But do they really need a $30k markup?

The price difference between Australia and equivalent markets has been calculated in motoring articles and on forums many many times over the last ten years and the reality is that the gouging isn’t anywhere near as bad as the uninitiated think.

First off the Aussie cars are full spec vehicles with few options available where the US cars are skinned right down to not even having bi xenon headlights, leather, premium audio etc where everything comes available in packages at an addition cost.

A fully spec’d US car is more than the base price.

Stamp duty and dealer charges aren’t that bad but the government’s grab of the Luxury Car Tax does really lift the price.

Anyway it’s what we have to pay here for any of the cars in this class or higher and it’s a choice some of us make for a vehicle engineered to perform and I do wish they were cheaper but then I’ve always thought a new V8 Commodore would be better value at about $25k.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The difference would be because we are Aussies.
And because they can.

You're not too far from the truth - Aussies accept without complaint.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I am already thinking Golf R. If VW bring back the Wolfsburg wagon, that it what I would buy. Small wagon, all wheel drive plenty of mumbo.
AFAIK the R is available here in wagon form; pretty sure the reviews said it was better balanced & a nicer drive than the hatch. Auto only though, I think.

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
No rear wheel drive V8 I will be going 4wd maybe luxury prado or simmilar

Comfal

Reaction score
Considering I am not a V8 buyer I will be keeping an open mind and will consider the 2018 Commodore.

I am sure Holden would not release a car that is worse than the old model even if it isn't RWD.

For starters the new 3.6 V6 which will probably be in this car has 250kw and is 10 % better on fuel. I have also read somewhere that people who have seen the car in the flesh have said it is one of the best looking cars they have seen.

My main concern is the pricing. If Holden price this car out of the market it will be game over.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No rear wheel drive V8 I will be going 4wd maybe luxury prado or simmilar
Ew ... Make sure you stock up on the sea-sickness tablets!

Considering I am not a V8 buyer I will be keeping an open mind and will consider the 2018 Commodore.

I am sure Holden would not release a car that is worse than the old model even if it issue n't RWD.

For starters the new 3.6 V6 which will probably be in this car has 250kw and is 10 % better on fuel. I have also read somewhere that people who have seen the car in the flesh have said it is one of the best looking cars they have seen.

My main concern is the pricing. If Holden price this car out of the market it will be game over.
If you're considering one of those, you've got heaps of near-identical alternatives to look at too; Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Ew ... Make sure you stock up on the sea-sickness tablets!

If you're considering one of those, you've got heaps of near-identical alternatives to look at too; Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata.

What an exciting future to look forward to.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

None of those could compete with a 300+kw AWD Commodore though (the 300+kw is what I'm hearing for the next turbo V6).

Realistically though, I'll hold onto my VF ute until I'm dead and buried unless Holden come to their senses and sell a V8 Colorado (I give them **** every chance I get, was at a Colorado drive day last week for the new one).