Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your setup!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not a gaming desktop, but a work laptop set up for intense 3D cad work and finite element and other numerical modelling, both 2D and 3D. As a side trick it also rips it up with gaming too :). The entire lot is a tax deduction through my company. Bonus! I purchased it in August 2021 when prices were sky high. I needed a decent setup so was sort of stuck between a rock and hard place.

Laptop: Dell 7760 Precision 17" mobile workstation (~$10k)
  • Xeon W-11955M (24MB Cache, 8 Cores, 2.60GHz - 5.00GHz, 45W)
  • 128 GB 3200MHz ECC
  • RTX A5000 16GB GDDR6
  • 2 x 500 GB SSD
  • 17.3" IPS UHD, 3840 x 2160, 120Hz screen
Peripherals:
  • Dell thunderbolt dock
  • 3 x 27" HP EliteDisplay E273Q monitors, 2560 x 1440, 60Hz
  • JBL Professional studio monitor speakers
Dell precision laptops are a nice bit of kit :cool: but it’s not difficult to spend real crazy money on them so they aren’t for casual users :rolleyes:

Sad that Dell has gone with proprietary memory on their new stuff. I hate proprietary though last I read they were uncharacteristically going to open up the spec and make it a standard o_O

Pity the industry hasn’t standardised on ECC memory for all as everyone’s data, including grannies pictures and video is precious and deserve such a memory subsystem.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Dell precision laptops are a nice bit of kit :cool: but it’s not difficult to spend real crazy money on them so they aren’t for casual users :rolleyes:

Sad that Dell has gone with proprietary memory on their new stuff. I hate proprietary though last I read they were uncharacteristically going to open up the spec and make it a standard o_O

Pity the industry hasn’t standardised on ECC memory for all as everyone’s data, including grannies pictures and video is precious and deserve such a memory subsystem.

Yeh at the time HP wouldn’t let me customise the ZBook and Lenovo didn’t have an arrival date for their 17” workstations. I previously had a specced up Lenovo X1 Extreme which was pretty good.

The web price for my Precison was well over $14k. I gave Dell a ring and set up a business account and got an instant 40% discount. Mental.