Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

post your vy mods in here

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Looking at the binnacle thing as well, any tips on installing the binnacle in place of the flat piece that is installed at factory, how is it removed? Not experts in this area of the VY .......... yet.

It's only held in with clips, just lift it off with a screwdriver:thumbsup:
Need any info on installing just pm me.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Fitting the binnacle

Yeah, thanks for that offer. Since the last post, prolly a half hour ago I wandered out for a look, got it all fitted. Yeah it just lifts up on the windscreen side and then you mark the screw holes ,drill em out (ones near the screen are difficult to drill), then screw er down. I saw from the pictures of yours that it didn't sit down quite perfectly on the right side bottom which is exactly how ours is as well. Thinking I might "carefully linish" a bit of so it does fit in perfectly. Pity really since the rest of it fits really well.

We needed somewhere to fit our boost gauge which looks just neat there now and still deciding what we will put in there with the boost gauge.

For anyone really fussy I would recommend using a factory binnacle, you will pay more but the result would be sweet!

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
still havent gotten around to getting mine as the install is meant to be a bastard, all the wiring and everything takes ages cause you gotta take the dash out and poke wires through the firewall.
Plus i dont think the genuine gauges gives you detailed instructions where to connect all the oil pressure sensors etc, so i dont really wanna go cutitng up my car, if someone disagrees please let me know.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
were your gauges oil pressure and alternator?

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
i used the sepatone red caliper and drum high temp paint on mine.. does say hi temp on it.. self primes too so no need to prime.. i also bought a can of sepatone wax n grease remover that i sprayed on and wiped the calipers over as much as possible.. paint stuck really well.. with 4-5 light coats in the end.. looks million times better than the dirty silver ..

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
i used the sepatone red caliper and drum high temp paint on mine.. does say hi temp on it.. self primes too so no need to prime.. i also bought a can of sepatone wax n grease remover that i sprayed on and wiped the calipers over as much as possible.. paint stuck really well.. with 4-5 light coats in the end.. looks million times better than the dirty silver ..

sounds like a good weekend project cheers for that

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
Yep, oil pressure and volts.:thumbsup:

could you maybe post a general instructions for it? Just wanna work out if its worth me doing. Also did you run into many problems, like cutting through firewall or anything?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
could you maybe post a general instructions for it? Just wanna work out if its worth me doing. Also did you run into many problems, like cutting through firewall or anything?

No problems really, this is what i did.(keep in mind this is for aftermarket installation.)

Vy's that don't have a cigarette lighter still have the auxillery plug for them behind the dash, this is where you can run you earth, acc. and illumination wires from.
The plug is located down the bottom right hand side of the console, just below the radio.
Drop down the panel under your steering wheel and undo the 4 screws holding the side panel on, that will give you access to the plug.
You only need to run one wire thru your firewall for your oil pressure switch, this can be done at the top right side of the firewall(from sitting in the car)
Locate your sensor(V6 is near the bottom pulley, not sure about the 8's)
Buy an adaptor from autobarn($12) to screw in your aftermarket sensor, you still keep your factory sensor so it won't affect your computer.
Then it's just a matter of mounting your gauges, be sure to hook them up correctly!(test light will be invaluable!)
Click on my link to my ride to see the end result!
Any more questions or more info just pm me:thumbsup: