Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powder Coating SSV wheels

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
From what I've been told it is very durable, the stuff doesn't just fall off. It peels off like a wrap would.
Lot of the young fellas up here & some of the local drifters use it on their cars

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Looks to be exactly what I need to keep the car factory for future value... and if I don't like it, just remove it and it will protect the wheels original paint too by looks of it.

Further research reveals it seems to get real dirty real quick and eventually starts to weaken? Might have to look at new wheels or painting by a pro.

Last edited:

shadow69

Reaction score
Members Ride
magnum on order
i plasti dipped the wifes honda jazz (she like it!!!!) with black when it was new and have cleaned it with water blaster and hose etc and has not lifted at all. she loves it and can peel off as others have said or put on another color over the top. cost $50 for 2 cans and done about 5 coats to each 16"wheel

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Further research reveals it seems to get real dirty real quick and eventually starts to weaken? Might have to look at new wheels or painting by a pro.
If it costs you similar to the $50 it cost shadow69 (let's say $75 'cos maybe another can for 18's), might be worth experimenting with regardless.

Just be sure you don't coat any mating surfaces, eg. where he wheels touch the hubs or where the nuts touch the wheels!

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
This guy did it to his Chevy SS...

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
i plasti dipped the wifes honda jazz (she like it!!!!) with black when it was new and have cleaned it with water blaster and hose etc and has not lifted at all. she loves it and can peel off as others have said or put on another color over the top. cost $50 for 2 cans and done about 5 coats to each 16"wheel

How long did you have the plasti dip on the Jazz?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
This guy did it to his Chevy SS...

I won't rubbish plastic dipping as I see it as a good thing and a perfect alternative in some cases like when you want to be able to easily convert back to OEM but the finish in some spots on those rims is atrocious.

Maybe a pro would do a better job or even smarter, remove the rims to apply the coating.

shadow69

Reaction score
Members Ride
magnum on order
How long did you have the plasti dip on the Jazz?
its probably been on there for 2 years now. still looks like new. highly reccomend it as its cheap and u dont like it u just peel it off. or repaint over with a new color.

i removed 2 wheels and masked the tyres. put some septone cleaner in a can and painted the nuts seprately then fitted on to 1 side of the car so wife could see what look she liked. then when she decided i painted the other 2 the next day.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Cool well I'll keep it in mind. Got a few options now to play with.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
If you want the anthracite look of those clubbie wheels you need to lay down a few coats of black plastidip (3-4 cans will do all 4 wheels) and then a few coats of plastidip's "graphite pearl metalizer" over the top. Looks ace and piss easy to apply. You can also do it with anthracite plastidip but the black/graphite pearl method looks heaps better.