Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Estimation, VS

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
My gf just got her first car which is a nice 97 model exec VS with 140 xxxkm

apart from gettin it dyno'd was wondering if any VSer's could tell me a rough estimate for this car?

it has:
Ex pursuit
standard 5L (looks standard)
OTR cold air intake
powerchipped
nice exhaust
4 speed auto
very low

the guy who sold it claimed a 400+ rwhp and Ive driven it a few times and its a fkn monster, theres probably way more stuff as no one pro has looked at, but if anyone can tell me what u think that would be good thanks

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
whoah!! with 400+ rwhp it would most definitely NOT sound standard, at least! does it have extractors, upgrade manifold? Its seems like the guy who sold it to you was yanking your chain.. But who knows, dyno it and see for sure!

My old mate PREDATR has a 355 v8 with around 330 odd rwhp, far from a stock 5L, and that lumps over big time.

OR.. how about grilling the previous owner about what mods he did to get his claimed 400 hp?? power like that just doesnt pop up out of no where lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thats 300rwkw, i'll say 160rwkw unless it's had some serious head work/cam and/or stroker, then i'd say 200rwkw tops(with a big cam, which would definitly be noticable at idle)

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Sisters BF has a 5ltr VR and when both startup the VS sounds much more monsterous, nah i dont reckon is 400rwp seemed way too much, i told her the 210k figure which is awesome still but yeah im not barely allowed to look at it to find out more stuff..lol

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe 200kw at the fly, dont think its going to be any more. Engine started at 165kw, then added, chip, zorst, cai...not going to be much more then 200.

But the lowering adds a few horses :) .

More seriously, the 200fwkW, or a bit less, sounds about right; VN SV5000 had that when new with the difference between them and standard being the cam, exhaust and tune (= chip).

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Thanks guys, just gotta get it dyno'd to see, car feels like it eats the road, ie you just tap the fkn accelerator and your gone. oh yeah the rear wheels spin out easily in the wet with full tread, its a danger to drive im kinda glad its not mine in the wet

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
400hp is a big call. how much did she/you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? you could kind of gauge what work it has had done to it by the price.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
he wanted $8000 but got it for 7k
but he paid like 22k few yrs ago