Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Gains on a 102 Octane Tune?

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Good man. I'd love to get the SuperWagon over there for a few laps!
Might have to settle for a hire 911
A Holden Ute in Deutschland, what gives?

Tell you what, if you ever make it to Germany, send me a message. Give me at least 6 months notice, just in case i stop using this site - but i promise ill set a reminder every 6 months to check. And when you get here, ill drive you down there and we can go for a few laps on the Ring.

And what gives? i DONT like pick up trucks.. i loathe them.. i do however love aussie utes. to most people there isnt really a difference between a Ute and Pickup (isnt a ute just a pickup? :mad:). But to me, theres a world of difference and i think most users on this site will be able to understand that. Anyway, yeah, im just an Aussie living in Germany and im sick of seeing BMW's and Porsche and Corvettes and all that crap... (oh and ive got kids, so a ute is perfect for hauling **** AND having fun.)

Re the straight alcohol, I could try that.. But i think thats a bit extreme for a daily driver.. I dont know, maybe. First 102.. then i can go from there.

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Honestly, it would be like a bees dick more power. IMHO not worth the cost (at least at Australian prices) and you kind of lose a fuel choice (maybe?) if you're somewhere else and there's no 102. Higher octane fuel doesn't really give you more power, it gives you the ability to make more power (if that makes sense) by stopping detonation. It's why people move to E85, it doesn't "make" more power on it, it just stops detonation way better than 98 so you can increase timing, but if there's no detonation to stop it doesn't help (particularly with such a minor increase in octane). Have a watch of the video below. If your tuner thinks they can clean up the tune a bit, then sure, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to make much more than it is now. Ever so slight torque increase across the curve as well maybe.

it may not be a huge increase, but i could run some leaner mix with it without predet sure.. but its mainly just for the fact that i dont have a servo with 98 nearby.. and i dont want to go from 300+kw on 98 to a retune on 95 making XXXkws..

Mostly just curious what i can expect, in any case, ill post the results of the 102 tune and the dyno sheet in the following 2 months once the car is tuned and before its on its way to germany.

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
If you want more power from running a different fuel, get it modded and tuned for straight alcohol, you will really notice a difference when running that. :):):) You'd have to buy it by the drum but I reckon Germany might have it cheaper than we pay for it here. Keep in mind you use roughly 220% more fuel than straight petrol.
no... jsut no no no no..

i just checked prices.. jesus.. no. not once not ever..

a 200L drum of 96.3% alcohol (188.7L pure alcohol) costs..... seriously, hold onto your seat...

$5,403 (AUD).... No... jesus no. lol what the ****..

ok, just a quick edit. I found another 1..

This is for 400L of min. 94% Ethanol and its only $942 (AUD)... the one ^^^^ for 5 grand is actual drinking alcohol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Only one thread required per topic. Threads merged.

102 isn't really a common fuel found at servos here so it's not likely there will be a lot of experience with it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
but its mainly just for the fact that i dont have a servo with 98 nearby.. and i dont want to go from 300+kw on 98 to a retune on 95 making XXXkws..

I didn't mention 95, I just meant why don't you just keep the 98 tune and put 102 in? You can still use the 102 on a 98 tune.

Is the 102 straight petrol or is it a blend of ethanol and some other octane of fuel?

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
closest we had was P100 which was 98 with 10% ethanol, if ur going to flog it around the ring then id suggest that the 98 tune using 102 would be good reassurance ur engine will be safer throughout the whole event

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
I didn't mention 95, I just meant why don't you just keep the 98 tune and put 102 in? You can still use the 102 on a 98 tune.

Is the 102 straight petrol or is it a blend of ethanol and some other octane of fuel?

never said you did, sorry for the confusion. my meaning is that here we only have 95 and 102.. And id rather not waste the extra money paying for 102 when 95 is much cheaper.. Hence why id just get it tuned for 102 so im not wasting potential.

and yeah, of course, i can use 102 with the 98 tune. but like i just said above, its wasted money thats not needed (though your point that by using 102 with a 98 tune i have a bit of buffer room to prevent lean out and pre det. is clear.)

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8

its straight petrol - no added ethanol.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
no... jsut no no no no..
i just checked prices.. jesus.. no. not once not ever..
a 200L drum of 96.3% alcohol (188.7L pure alcohol) costs..... seriously, hold onto your seat...
$5,403 (AUD).... No... jesus no. lol what the ****..
ok, just a quick edit. I found another 1..
This is for 400L of min. 94% Ethanol and its only $942 (AUD)... the one ^^^^ for 5 grand is actual drinking alcohol.

it becomes increasing difficult to distill ethanol above 90%. Anything above 95% would have some nasty chemical added to reduce the water content. So I doubt it is "drinking alcohol"

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
it becomes increasing difficult to distill ethanol above 90%. Anything above 95% would have some nasty chemical added to reduce the water content. So I doubt it is "drinking alcohol"
well, i mean its advertised and sold as Drinking Alcohol to be used for make Egg Liquor and other Schnapps.. also, its $5000.

but its been a good 6 years since i used my still to make any alcohol so i dont know much about it anymore.