Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Generator, Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol or Diesel genny

• Total voters

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
My old man bought a petrol 6kva from masters for $899. It runs his small corner store when powers out for line works. Runs 2 dual door fridges, large ice cream freezer, chest freezer and 2 standard fridge/freezer house ones. Along with the toaster and kettle at times. Doesn't have a problem at all powering them all at once. Just a slight rpm fart when a compressor kicks back on. Running all that for 10 hours used 15l of fuel. Also electric key start is a great feature as he's getting on, but also has manual pull start.

I borrowed it yesterday since the main safety switch blew in the power box and ran it for 8 hours. Also used it to power some electronics that use external power adapters as they are quite good at filtering dirty power.

Just be cautious if your fridge freezers have any electronics, as extended use can end up damaging these components due to extra strain caused by the un pure sine wave. But a few hours should be alright. Just don't go risking high end computer/entertainment equipment.

Also, be sure to get a wheel kit for it, this 6kva is 100kg loaded with fuel.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just be cautious if your fridge freezers have any electronics, as extended use can end up damaging these components due to extra strain caused by the un pure sine wave. But a few hours should be alright. Just don't go risking high end computer/entertainment equipment.
Or just buy an inverter generator.

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
Petrol for sure with a small one. Less hassle and way less noise for the amount of use.

I work with gensets from 2.5 Kva all the way up to 500 Kva which are all diesel and the 2.5 kva ones are noisy as hell (super silent design my ass).

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Or just buy an inverter generator.

Definitely the best option if you require electronics. Some people are not aware of it though. Just a fair warning for people who don't know and buy one for emergencies and don't think or know the risks.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Petrol for sure with a small one. Less hassle and way less noise for the amount of use.

I work with gensets from 2.5 Kva all the way up to 500 Kva which are all diesel and the 2.5 kva ones are noisy as hell (super silent design my ass).

I remember at one place where we did the elec install and it had its own backup gens.
The rooms were soundproofed and it was still super noisy on the outside haha.
the sound of the Quad Turbo V16 Cat at full speed was phenominal.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
If the choice is either Gasoline or Diesel only, I will take Diesel. Diesel has a way longer shelf life, also, the enginr is multifuel. In the military, we used Motor Gasoline (MoGas)/JP4 mixed with some motor oil (non synthetic) and JP8. Some Generators might need some added oil on the JP8. In a pinch, you could use BioDiesel (vegetable oil). Gasoline has a very poor shelf life and has the tendency to gum up when not in use.

My generator at home is a Poweland 240V 50 Amp 8KW (10KW surge) Tri Fuel. Runs on Gasoline (up to 15% Ethanol), Propane or Natural Gas. The reason is, that I can run the generator from my house Natural Gas service line. Shelf life in indefinite with Propane or Natural Gas and able to run Gasoline if I have to.

During power outages, some fuel stations might be inoperative, however, you can get Propane pretty easy. A 45 KG propane tank, night last at about 4 to 5 days on a generator depending on load. Also, with the proper quick disconnects, you could fire your grill if you need to cook some.