Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power mode switch not working on VY series 1 auto

holdenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Bought used VY today, not really mechanically knowledgeable, but did a basic check of things during the test drive, bought from a private owner.
Everything seemed acceptable, but I forgot to press the power mode button until after I bought car, guess what it doesn't work.
The logbooks says a service was done 10,000kms ago,and a RWC had been done a few days ago.
Really feeling like an idiot, is the gearbox stuffed?
It shifts ok, a little bit stiff when using the shifter .
After pressing the button a few times , i noticed the console around shifter is loose, nothing comes on in the display.
It feels like the switch has nothing underneath.
There is no feel to switch.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

holdenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Just to add, my concern is the switch may have been disabled to mask a major gearbox fault, I haven't a clue, it's the first car ever, where the power button doesn't do anything.
I paid over 5 grand for the wagon as it has low kms on the odometer anyway, it felt tight , and drove good, just hoping someone more knowledgable..could give me some clues to this fault.
Have no warranty.
Private sale

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
May have a wire disconnected at the switch if the console has come out for some reason.

The power button on a VY doesn't do much even when it is working ....:)

holdenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
May have a wire disconnected at the switch if the console has come out for some reason.

The power button on a VY doesn't do much even when it is working ....:)

MMM...but to be honest drove car to Brisbane and back, and it drives really well, as good as some much newer camrys , falcons I have driven recently.
For the record it'sa VY11 , misread the build plate date.
The only other issue is the Radiator Cap, won't come off, it turns easy as pie, but won't lift off.
It looks like a brand new cap as well, any suggestions anyone?
Apart from these odd problems, happy to be a commodore wagon owner.
Cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
could just be a bulb in the dash too?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Like above said the pwr button does do noting.. You can take it ut or pull apart the console and see if its even connected..

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The only other issue is the Radiator Cap, won't come off, it turns easy as pie, but won't lift off.

The rubber seal for the cap will be stuck to the flange in the neck of the radiator.
Basically you just have to use some force to get it unstuck. But go easy ...you don't want to break the plastic radiator.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I assumed all the "power" button did was change to a more aggressive shift pattern for the automatic transmission.

Really should be called economy mode disable, not power ;)

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Ha ha yeah. You'll get no "power" from it. Just a slightly more aggressive shift pattern ie. earlier kick downs later upshifts.

And there is no bulb in the dash. It'll show up an animated "gear" graphic for a few seconds then have a display on the lcd saying "PWR."

As above, maybe the button might have had a coffee/coke spilt in it and it's buggered.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4