Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Mods

KrazyKazza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN Commodore Berlina
G'day,

just wondering if someone can list things to tweak [without buying anything] to make the VN get a little more power?

Instructions like your trying to teach a 5year old would help because im not very mechanically minded :p

Last edited:

BIG DYL

BIG DYL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT calais
take your Bellmouth off that is located behind the throtly body... do you know how to take the throtly body off?

but buying stuff can be cheep:
1: K&N air filter should give about 5 to 10 hp cost between $10 to $25
2: good coolent $5 to $25 will keep the engine cool witch will make better proformence

or if you want a maxum proformence car buy a vu ss ute with a 6 speed should cost around $20,000 to $30,000

Last edited:

BIG DYL

BIG DYL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT calais
here you go

Last edited:

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Dont take it out.It is there for a reason

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
some of the best mods you can do are free :p

1. run some tubing from airbox to front bumper (home made cai - better than holdens)
2. clean tb, make sure it's opening 100% (search howtos)
3. make sure throttle cable doesn't have any slack. and tighten kickdown cable a bit more than it should be - makes the car feel more 'sporty'
4. weight reduction. remove everything from the boot (including spare tyre). remove sound system. if you run 18s, throw them out and put the stock wheels back on. remove sound deadening. remove aircon. morton style: remove power steering. remove heater box.

then spend a bit of cash:
5. 2.5" catback
6. greenfoam tune
7. service (oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, leads, fuel filter)

8. enjoy

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
The reasn its there is to provide a smother idle, If you want more power then you need more air geting in your engine, the bell mouth is just stopping the extra horses.

It does provide a smother idle, but not no extra power its just wish full thinking.I have been there and done that.Just make a home made cold air intake with pvc pipe from your local D.I.Y shop for around $30, job done ''more air in engine makes you go faster'''

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore
It does provide a smother idle, but not no extra power its just wish full thinking.I have been there and done that.Just make a home made cold air intake with pvc pipe from your local D.I.Y shop for around $30, job done ''more air in engine makes you go faster'''

yes more air in engine does make you go faster, have you seen how much smaller the space for the air to enter the inlet manifold is with a bell mouth? I have an issue of Street commodores where they proved it to.

BIG DYL

BIG DYL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT calais
Dont take it out.It is there for a reason

no you should the Bellmouth out coz it restricts air flow so if you take that out you will get better air flow

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Drfit clown is right as far as i'm concerned. Pod filter, custom CAI, and an upgrade to the ECU chip will do the trick. The extra air flow helps, but without the upgrade to the ECU you won't get the same results. I've had my VN for over two years and i won't be told the mods i have done haven't made a difference. The difference is quite noticeable to someone that is paying attention, some of you may have to turn down the music to notice.