Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering Fluid leak

410ci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec S2
Hi guys just joined, hope to get some advice on this one.

My VS (225k) I’ve lost up to about 1 litre of steering oil over the last 3-4 weeks and leaving behind 2 to 4 spots of oil everywhere I park the car. Each spot is atleast a size of a 50c coin.
I put my car in for standard engine oil/filter/coolant service last week and ask the Mechanic to check it out why I’m leaking steering fluid. He says the leaks from a worn steering rack & pinion. So I pickup a wreckers rack & pinion assembly for $50, got the Mechanic to fit it up and a wheel alignment.
So I was happy and he too.
But the next day I’m still losing and leaking steering fluid exactly like before.
Not happy Jan!
I’ll get the car jacked up over the weekend and try looking for the source the leaking myself.
So why is the power steering fluid leaking? What could it be? At first Im thinking the steering box seals needs replacing, I have a habit of turning full lock when reversing, but the Mechanic did check that.
Maybe a small pin hole/crack in the metal piping?

Any advice on this please.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
firstly a commodores doesnt have a steering box, that is a complete diffrent steering system compaired to the rack and pinion:p

as for leak is it towards the rear or the front of the bay?
most likly it would be a rubber pipe which runs from the pump to the rack or the rack to the tank

either its not complete done up or there is a small pin hole which is weeping a little drip every now and then

best bet is to jack it up and look for a pipe which is soaked in fluid, clean that suspected area and around it and leave it. check back and see if its leaking again then replace the pipe if need be

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Where is the leak in relation to where the car is parked? I mean is the oil on the ground more to the front in the middle or further back and more to the side?
Most commodore steering racks tend to have leaking seals as they get older, so replacing it with a secondhand rack is probably going to give you a leak as well. Have a look at the rubber boots on the rack and see if the is any sign of fluid on them.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
be cautious about where it drips on the ground.... the leak may not be directly above the leak... oils have the great ability of travelling along engine components before dripping off...

in my experience, visual inspection is often the best... so:

1. thouroughly degrease the engine bay (From above AND beneath) with at least 2-3 cans of degreaser spray (Pick it up at the $2 shop for $2) particularly around all the steering components and hoses, even the reservoir.
2. after a couple of mins (not too long or it will dry up) pressure rinse the engine bay (From beneath, then above)
3. do a quick inspection to ensure you have cleaned ALL components top and bottom.
4. allow to dry (Do NOT start the engine)
5. When dry. you can then start the car and move it away from the washing area. then turn the wheels left to right to work the steering.
6. inspect for leaks on all hose fittings/connections, starting from the highest (Normally the reservoir) and working to the lowest. (Butchers paper on the ground helps see the drips if any, you can get some WHITE stuff from your local fish'n'chip shop)
7. you should be able to find it, if its a hose, tighten it, and keep an eye on it over the next couple of drives. (be aware, there can be more than one leak, so dont stop inspecting at one find)
8. if you can't find it, wait for the leak to drip on the clean paper, then look directly above and follow the "wetness" along where it is dripping off, up to the source of the drip.
9. if its coming from the pump, replace the o-rings, a simple job, just time consuming.
10. if you still havent found it... well... im outta ideas....

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

410ci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec S2
Thanks for the tips.

I had a good look under and there’s a few drip points, one drip is running off the metal piping as its bending back up to the fittings, another thick drip is running off the drivers side boot and another off a bottom mounting bolt.
The leaks increase once I start the car and turn the steering.
Small trace of oil coming from the small pipe fittings & olive connections.
And have put my hand up around the area and does seem that some of the wetness is coming from up above so maybe the pump area.
Mechanic did say to give the underneath a good clean as hyd oil does seem stay around, but in 1 day the tank has gone from being 5mm over halfway to 10mm under halfway.

I’ll continue the find and if can not find I’ll go back to the mechanic on Monday

Umai Naa!!

R.I.P APY-88V :(
Reaction score
Website
www.aus12.org
Members Ride
VR S1 Exec. A4 3.8L
It's common for the pump to sh1t the seals out. Same goes for the o-ring at the base of the resevoir on earlier models.

Actually, it's also common for them to leak from every possible place in the rack too!

Chalk one up for Holden's quality suppliers.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
you can buy a seal kit for the pump (and rack) but the pump is easy to do just make sure everything goes back the same...seal kit cost 10-15 bucks

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
my old vn had the same problem before i got rid of it...

was the low preasure hose leaking
I bought some "nulon power steering stop leak & seal rejuvenator"
It stopped leaking within 2 weeks

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
It's coming from the steering box. (If it's not coming from the pipes and 'O' rings are OK) I had the same problem with mine... Check to see if it's leaking from under that orange seal...I fixed mine with a good price exchange one.