Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering Fluid leak

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Well what the **** do you call it then??? Steering gear housing box?
Simply by saying a rack box or steering box is what everyone will understand...

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
steering rack is what it is,
the steering shaft connects to the rack under the car. then is assited with a pump to help turn it

steering box uses the steering shaft going into a box, which has many gears and cog in it to get the best turning ratio which then connects the wheel by a series or "drag arm"
much more complex

the rack and pinion is also said to be far better in respone steering wise and handling,
from the many GTs and valiants if driven at work i can also agree on that

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Sure,
But surely when talking about Commodores people know it as a steering box or rack box.
I was trying to be make it easy to understand for the newbie and I think I was. (and everyone else)

410ci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec S2
Need a new high pressure hose/pipe. Will be replaced on Friday.
Up the Windsor Rd Holden in Syd. had to order in more from Melborne.
I'd be glad when it gets fixed I'm lossing so much oil its not nice.

VR BOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hi mate im chris im new to this site i have been living in perth for 10 months and got a magic lil yellow sticker on my car... Part of the list was a knock to my steering rack. I bit the bullet and bought a new 1 didnt want the same hassles with a second hand one. i had to replace the return hose and the high pressure hose back to the tank. on doing that the plastic nib that goes inside the return hose snapped off the bottom of the tank. o i got some heavy duty super glue and glued it back on it seems to be holding after cleaning the tank down with prepsol. But i think i did the O ring when i put the tank back on as mine is still leaking after making everything brand new. just check in behind the pulley at the top of the pump and the bottom of the tank as well and see if its clean that helped me.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hi people,

If my steering rack is leaking near the rubber boot, passenger side, what would I have to do to fix it? First time experenceing this. Also I have a riggle noise coming from passenger side, have already replaced rack end a year ago. And when I first turn the wheel when I take off, I hear a kind of gurgling noise from passenger side steering rack. No not wheel bearing, I have replaced them. I haven't had a look under the car yet.

Cheers Pete