Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power upgrade

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
I understand the sense of forced induction as a good way to make power without being in your face but I do love noisy, smelly cams and always tend to gravitate that way.

Totally agree with this. Each to their own - there's no 'right', however I'm in the same camp as you. My 2000-model ute with a cam etc has less go than my VFSS (which I love, don't get me wrong), but every time I start up the older but lumpier ute and listen to it idle at stop lights it still brings a big smile to my dial.

Nothing at all wrong with FI, just what does it for you.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Most places ive been quoted $3k to $3.5k for a cam package, no afm/dod gear so definitely cheaper then the vf1s and late ve2s, throw in the otr and cam package already including a tune youd be looking around the $4k id say.
Just be aware that there are cams for all applications, daily drivers with plenty of torque all the way to race cams with big power numbers, you want to make sure you select or have a solid convo with your tuner to make sure your getting something that doesnt become a pain to drive.
Ive got a mate that has a race cam, super lumpy, big power numbers and is a pig to drive, his looking to change his because its just to difficult to drive!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
As pointed out by others you’ll find discounts if you take the time to shop around and many of the well-known tuners from time to time will have specials.

I don’t necessarily shop on price as my first priority when it comes to my cars is to go to a shop that I trust.

blackve76 has posted that GM Motorsport is currently offering a cam swap for $3K which is a good price and they have a great reputation so if you lived in the area and were thinking of a cam then it would definitely be worth looking into.

I’ve not had a cam done in recent years under $4K and the last was around $4.5K so to be on the safe side and not under estimate for the OP I rounded it up to a $5K budget.

Also make sure you know what you’re getting for your money, for example what brand and type of valve springs, lifters and pushrods are included in the package, the good ones ain’t cheap and the cheap ones don’t last, so do your homework.

Coming from a family that worked in the industry I still always offer two bits of advice, go to someone who has a good reputation and you get what you pay for.

The other important fact is the good shops who know their business and are experienced in this type of work will come up with a good package to suit your needs or try and steer you away from something that isn't sensible or streetable.

It doesn't matter how good the components and workmanship is if you end up with a package that is knackered from the start.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
As pointed out by others you’ll find discounts if you take the time to shop around and many of the well-known tuners from time to time will have specials.

I don’t necessarily shop on price as my first priority when it comes to my cars is to go to a shop that I trust.

blackve76 has posted that GM Motorsport is currently offering a cam swap for $3K which is a good price and they have a great reputation so if you lived in the area and were thinking of a cam then it would definitely be worth looking into.

I’ve not had a cam done in recent years under $4K and the last was around $4.5K so to be on the safe side and not under estimate for the OP I rounded it up to a $5K budget.

Also make sure you know what you’re getting for your money, for example what brand and type of valve springs, lifters and pushrods are included in the package, the good ones ain’t cheap and the cheap ones don’t last, so do your homework.

Coming from a family that worked in the industry I still always offer two bits of advice, go to someone who has a good reputation and you get what you pay for.

The other important fact is the good shops who know their business and are experienced in this type of work will come up with a good package to suit your needs or try and steer you away from something that isn't sensible or streetable.

It doesn't matter how good the components and workmanship is if you end up with a package that is knackered from the start.

Great advice mate

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
I’d have thought 300rwkw without a cam with just bolt ons would be pushing it.
Spend the extra and cam it. If you plan on keeping the car you will eventually cam it like most people down the track.
There’s too many good cams to choose from to recommend to you but if it’s an A6 the 224/232 duration is tried and tested but imo you’d need a hi stall converter.
That cam in my NA ls3 made 330 rwkw and dropped a second off my quarter mile ET. If anything I picked up bottom end from 1200 rpm

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I’d have thought 300rwkw without a cam with just bolt ons would be pushing it.
Spend the extra and cam it. If you plan on keeping the car you will eventually cam it like most people down the track.
There’s too many good cams to choose from to recommend to you but if it’s an A6 the 224/232 duration is tried and tested but imo you’d need a hi stall converter.
That cam in my NA ls3 made 330 rwkw and dropped a second off my quarter mile ET. If anything I picked up bottom end from 1200 rpm

Mine's got the VCM5sc which I believe is the same duration. it is borderline on needing a stall converter, though you can get away with not needing one. Mine is a daily driver in heavy traffic. Can get annoying at times, but livable

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Ended up booking the cam upgrade with the intake and tune.

Will post feedback after work is completed at the end of month.

Thanks everyone for your input.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Ended up booking the cam upgrade with the intake and tune.

Will post feedback after work is completed at the end of month.

Thanks everyone for your input.
VCM cam and intake? what specs.

I'm thinking put on a MAF OTR, hsv exhaust system myself no tune and then go cam and tune at a shop a little bit later.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
VCM cam and intake? what specs.

I'm thinking put on a MAF OTR, hsv exhaust system myself no tune and then go cam and tune at a shop a little bit later.

It’s a custom grind crow cam, I don’t have the specs as he keeps them as he spent time designing the cam.

Made for low to mid range torque with an aggressive idle.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
It’s a custom grind crow cam, I don’t have the specs as he keeps them as he spent time designing the cam.

Made for low to mid range torque with an aggressive idle.
Who by? Not sure if you already mentioned.