Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power

Nathan72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 3.8
hey guys um just a quick question i have a vs v6 1996 all stock. anyway in the mornin to go to work at 6 in the mornin when the air is cooler my vs seems to be very responsive and quick. but in the arfternoon when i finish its very slugish and yeah does anything like this happen to ur vs. and do u think a cold air intake would fix it.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
this happens in mine too, but only if ive been driving it all day... i dont know why either. i can tell you a genuine holden air intake doesnt do much as i installed one in mine and havent noticed any real difference, air flow is still pretty restriced with it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Funny cos I have the Holden one on my VS and I have found the throttle response and highway economy have noticebly improved. The reason it is better in the morning is because the air is colder/denser and you have a higher ratio of oxygen in your intake, as the day and the engine warms up the intake air is warmer and so not as dense. If you don't have a hi-flow filter teamed with the CAI it wont make much difference.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
dont you find tho it is still pretty closed away when the bonnet is down, i would have thought it better if the opening was somehow behind the grilles so the air is forced straight in....

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
it just colder air.. the engines run better with colder air.. cai intake works better with hi-flow airfilter... but will only get abit better throttle response..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The opening to the filter is larger with the CAI and there is enough gap between the bonnet and the grille to let the air in. Ideally you could hang a pod filter through the guard under the original airbox but that would mean relocating the washer bottle.

Burt_vn

Back in the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V8 5spd, 400hp 5spd soarer, vq stato
yeah, what they said..when the air is cold and moist, its also quite dense..meaning more air in less volume..so you get more air into the cylinders. As for the cold air intake, you cant force air into it, do you know how hard those things suck air? you could try and hide the filter and itd still manage to suck enough air for full throttle. So the genuine holden ones with a K&N filter do themselves justice considering how inexpensive they are.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
A stock engine really isnt that thirsty for air. The holden engineers made sure it could get enough air where it sits. A CAI is a mod that just about everyone here will approve. Its a good idea, and while you probably wont get any noticeable difference, it is cheap, looks good, simple and it cant hurt one bit. High flow filters are a totally different topic, wont even go there (I personally dont believe in them). And yes, cooler air will produce more bang for you buck. Thats one thing that will definatly make a difference to your cars performance.

Nathan72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 3.8
kool thanks guys im thinkin of puttin a pod in place of the panel and removing the washer bottle and then cuttin a bigger hole and then join a peace of plastic pipe of some sort to the hole, and to the hole in my front bumper. also im gettin a 2 1/2'' exaust with pacemakers and hiflo cat do use think this will make an improvement and is there any other lil things i could do to get more performance. oh and one more question would it be wise to get my car tuned and chiped after i put the pod and exhaust on