Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre cat sensor issue

06ssvowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 l98 ssv 6.0 lit
I own a 2006 SSV 6 .0 l98 camed and tuned since I bought this vehicle it's been throwing O2 sensor codes including low voltage insufficient switching heater bank all on bank 2 sensor 1 I've replaced all four sensors since then I've also installed spaces with cats As soon as it throws the code obviously the ECU starts changing the air fuel mixtures and it runs like s*** I've just installed a sensor of simulator On bank 2 precat sensor 1 it seems to have fixed the voltage and sensor O2 issues now all I get is a p0050 heater bank code well is it still almost instantly makes the car run crap idle is rough Power is down sounds horrible clear the code and it runs fine until the code pops again any tips or ideas would be much appreciated as I pretty much spent all my savings on this car and don't have the money to put it in the shop I have a decent scanner basic mechanical knowledge although my diagnosis ability is non-existent

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Codes are not shopping lists.
That sensor may very well be doing the job it’s designed to do.

You can test the heater circuit by making an adaptor up that has a tail light bulb socket on it. The two white wires will be the heater circuit. It matters not which way around you wire it. If the bulb lights up, the circuit is confirmed good and faulty o2 at play. If it does not light up, you know there is a circuit fault in either the harness or the ECM. Next, back probe the o2 plug and repeat the test. This will rule out poor connection. The ECM plug will be the next point to test. Back probe from the harness side of the plug. You’ll need a pin out diagram for the plug to find which two are the o2 heater pins.

You need some automotive back probes. They are like needles with a small socket on the end for device probes to plug in. Back probing is best practice as sticking multimeter probes into a plug will risk splaying the terminal and creating a poor contact. The probe goes in behind the plug and under the seal for the wire. It will contact the back of the terminal giving a positive contact.

Make sure they don’t touch each other. Make sure they don’t contact anything else on the exposed part of the probe.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
To test the rest will require a skilled diagnostics technician to use an oscilloscope (picoscope) and analyse wave form data being sent between the sensor and the ECM.