Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Pre-Eco balance shaft removal experiences/opinions...

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec & HZ Wagon w/ VP V6
OK, so i'm going through the traditional "should I / shouldn't I remove the balance shaft" on my VP V6 during rebuild?

I've read lots of threads where people are stressing about removing them (like this one :whistling), but i can't seem to find anything about EV6 (Pre-Eco) motors and what they're like after the balance shaft is gone.

I'm rebuilding the motor with an ACL Race Rebuild kit for more comp, will be running YT 1.7 RR's, and a Wade 992a cam. Now obviously i would like to run some slightly heavier duty valve springs, but then from what i've been reading that tends to kill the tensioner on a single row timing chain, and a double-row seems to be a preferred replacement, but this disables the balance shaft.

So if you have any experience with this, a link to another thread i've missed, an opinion/suggestion or question please post! I want to know what to expect once it's gone...

Cheers...

TVS

Reversed Upside Down
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Turbo, S/C VZ, Bravo 4x4, 99 Vectra
Can't offer a direct opinion on the pre eco's but my ecotec has the balance shaft removed and honestly it's not that bad, I have a fairly large cam in it as well and the idle is fine.

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers, i'd imagine they'd be fairly similar anyway, but thought i'd ask to be sure.

Just to check, No resonances or harmonics at any particular RPM?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
putting a dual row in my VN next week, just going to pluck the balance shaft out.

Did it to my VS ecotec, no worries

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome. Things are looking good. :D

Let us know how you go with the VN BalShaft removal. ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've removed the ballance shaft on my s1 VN. it's not that bad. just make sure your trans mount is in good condition as it can cause more vibration problems then the ballahce shaft

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mounts will be all new as it's getting put into my HZ wagon. ;)

Actually the engine mounts (probably the trans mount too) are rooted on my VR, and yeah, it does make things a little rumbly - in a bad way. :bang: Another thing for the to-do list...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I have just removed balance shaft in my vn s1 engine.. due to installing a double row chain, also i have 1.8 roller rockers and a custom wade 1114a cam. But at this stage i am no use for info as the engine is yet to be fired up. But i hope once your up and going you will leave your impressions and experience in this thread.

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, i hopefully i'll remember! It'll be a while until it's done though... :thumbsup:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Just did mine in the VN yesterday. pulled the balance shaft and gears and fitted the dual row chain. slight bit of vibration just off idle, but what VN doesn't already vibrate like hell? hehe. Initial drive shows that the engine seems 'freer' and quicker to respond to the throttle. Worked out pretty good.

p.s. if you do fit a dual row chain, i strongly suggest fitting the tensioner too (heard that some people leave them off). As without it there is still some chain slack even with a dual row.