Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre-purchase Advice

John_ 3:16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not yet purchased
Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a Commodore Wagon somewhere between 2011 and 2016 mainly to just toe a Jayco Penguin caravan away on holidays and General driving around. I have seen quite a few nice ones between 50,000 km and 80,000 km, is there anything I should look for when making a purchase? I have done some research and found out about the timing chains issue which doesn't faze me as I've seen some modifications to make the PVC valve to let the engine breathe better and stop this but I don't mind changing the chains anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Chains weren't too much of an issue on the VF's if looking at a VE then they can be pretty hit and miss (with the exception of the very end of the VE's with the LFX engine that was the same as the VF).

The PCV issue I believe didn't affect the VF/LFX VE either.

You must be the only one in 2023 that would willingly choose a Commodore as a tow vehicle :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not yet purchased
Chains weren't too much of an issue on the VF's if looking at a VE then they can be pretty hit and miss (with the exception of the very end of the VE's with the LFX engine that was the same as the VF).

The PCV issue I believe didn't affect the VF/LFX VE either.

You must be the only one in 2023 that would willingly choose a Commodore as a tow vehicle :)
Thank you so much for your advice, I will keep my eye out for a VF! Is that a good or a bad thing that I wish to tow a light caravan with it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thank you so much for your advice, I will keep my eye out for a VF! Is that a good or a bad thing that I wish to tow a light caravan with it?
I think it's more that theres far better suited tow vehicles on the market these days.

Back in the day your options were Holden/Ford if you wanted something that could tow. Now most full size SUV's/4x4's/Utes etc have far better tow ratings than the commdores.

They don't have strong chassis and live axle rear ends anymore, commodores generally squat on their IRS and wear down tyres reasonably quickly when weights in the back.

The worlds moved on from the days of towing vans with your family sedan/wagon.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not yet purchased
I think it's more that theres far better suited tow vehicles on the market these days.

Back in the day your options were Holden/Ford if you wanted something that could tow. Now most full size SUV's/4x4's/Utes etc have far better tow ratings than the commdores.

They don't have strong chassis and live axle rear ends anymore, commodores generally squat on their IRS and wear down tyres reasonably quickly when weights in the back.

I have looked at some SUVs but to get something reliable with decent k’s you’re looking well over $30,000

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A Commodore may not make the most sense for a dedicated tow vehicle, but if it's your only vehicle you have to consider that operating an SUV or a 4WD or a dual-cab is a little like being smashed repeatedly in the testicles with a baseball bat ... and by whoever has the world record for hitting that baseball the farthest. A VF is just that much nicer a place to be all the time you're not towing.

I just checked the Penguin, it's getting to the top of what a VF is rated to tow. I think that if you'll be keeping this car for a while it's worth investigating whether there's value in doing anything with the rear suspension? Although ball weight isn't high.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
A Commodore may not make the most sense for a dedicated tow vehicle, but if it's your only vehicle you have to consider that operating an SUV or a 4WD or a dual-cab is a little like being smashed repeatedly in the testicles with a baseball bat ... and by whoever has the world record for hitting that baseball the farthest. A VF is just that much nicer a place to be all the time you're not towing.

I just checked the Penguin, it's getting to the top of what a VF is rated to tow. I think that if you'll be keeping this car for a while it's worth investigating whether there's value in doing anything with the rear suspension? Although ball weight isn't high.

Absolutely!

I love mountain biking, that doesn't mean I walk around every single day in my mountain bike gear to be ready for the weekend when I actually go mountain biking

SUV's must be one of the most successful pieces of wankater marketing in history (Or maybe im just biased as every single one ive gotten in just drives like utter dog crap :)) And don't get me started on Dual cabs, agreed they are so bloody uncomfortable.

Is the VF the best tow vehicle today? Absolutely not, but ive yet to sit in a car that drives as good on country roads as they do, that doesn't cost over $100000. So if you'll only be towing occasionally, but daily driving the rest I don't think you can go wrong should it be within the Tow specs

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Australia has moved on from normal passenger cars in general. The majority of sales now are SUVs and 4x4s.

People like to have a sook about petrol prices but the majority aren’t doing themselves any favours by choosing lard arse SUVs they don’t use for their intended purpose.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-13bn-extra-at-the-pump-per-year-report-finds

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute

IRS Commodores are no good for towing I totally agree, but the only vehicle better than a Falcon XR6 Turbo Ute for towing race cars that I've driven, is a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. V8 Landcruiser's are no good on the open road trying to pass trucks etc and the 4 cylinder diesels are dangerous performance wise. Moving forward I guess a Silverado or Ram could be a decent tow vehicle!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
V8 Landcruiser's are no good on the open road trying to pass trucks etc and the 4 cylinder diesels are dangerous performance wise. Moving forward I guess a Silverado or Ram could be a decent tow vehicle!
I think Silverado & RAM are more "backward" than anything ... :)

Mate-of-a-mate used to two horses between the east & west coasts, this was about 25 years ago before everyone with an IQ below 65 bought a Silverado or RAM or F-truck. He was using a Landbruiser for a while 'til someone suggested a Silverado, which he bought from an importer/converter for less than he sold the Landbruiser for ... and he'd saved a Silverado's cost in fuel after a few more years.
What I can't remember is whether the Landbruiser was petrol, it might have been.