Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preliminary Results PumpAction Turbo

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
Blue-Chip said:
Wayne, like i have said in the past, providing your engine has been put together correctly, your power results should be heaps better than this ute for obvious reasons.
how is it coming along anyway?

Cheers Lou.
well unfortunatly it hasnt as yet but im workin on it im kicking myself for not doing it myself in the first place and taking it to a mech,leson learnt i spose.

W

wizza

blue-chip where are you located? have you turboed a vs because i wanna know whether its worth doing... isnt it better to turbo a vp 3.8l lower compression ratio? and ecotechs are crap too? can u pm me? thanks wizza

MBS206

Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask a question here.

I was always told, if you want to figure out an approximate power level with you boost, to take your standard power, divide it by 14.7 (14.7PSi = 1atmosphere pressure) then add on what ever PSI you want to run to 14.7, and multiply the number you just worked out before.

Now the same works in reverse if you want to know the approx N/A power.

So I took your 246.6KW, and divided it by 22.7. Which is equal to 10.86 approx (rounded)
Now, I multiply that by 14.7, and get 159kw...

So. Did your car magically make more power then it should have standard? (12KW is a fair margin of difference from standard)
And isn't that power output at the rear wheels also? So we take into consideration normally a 30% parasitic loss through the driveline, but today, we'll take only a 20% loss, which will work your fly power out to be 182KW.

So if your dyno graph is correct and at the rear wheels, then your motor standard, made 182KW or more (As I didn't factor in the problems due to heat from the turbos etc) which, is 35KW more then standard for a VS Ecotec...

So, can you explain what mode the dyno readout was in. As for company purposes, dyno graphs are meant to be done in SAE mode.
And then, can you verify why, or how, your car appears to make more power then it should.

In regards to my part up the top with how to estimate new power once boosted, you then have to lower that expectation due to heating of the air which will rise pressure etc etc. Hence, as we work through, we'll find your NA power should be higher then I figured...

I'm struggling to see, where, or how it made that much power standard.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Nice little equation there.. fairly accurate by my calcs.

stock vs puts out 147kw... I imagine an n/a l67 would give a touch more.

147/14.7=10
10*20.7 (6psi)=207
assuming 30% off n/a power lost to drive the charger (i've been told this is the approximate figure for power lost from the drive belts)
30% of 147 = 44.1
207-44.1 = 162.9fwkw.

Factory quoted figure is 165fwkw. Given that the L67 probably puts out a touch more than the ecotec, that's pretty damn good.

Edit: Humm... doesn't work so well with higher boost, if anything it works out higher than it should be.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
mattman said:
Nice little equation there.. fairly accurate by my calcs.

stock vs puts out 147kw... I imagine an n/a l67 would give a touch more.

147/14.7=10
10*20.7 (6psi)=207
assuming 30% off n/a power lost to drive the charger (i've been told this is the approximate figure for power lost from the drive belts)
30% of 147 = 44.1
207-44.1 = 162.9fwkw.

Factory quoted figure is 165fwkw. Given that the L67 probably puts out a touch more than the ecotec, that's pretty damn good.

Edit: Humm... doesn't work so well with higher boost, if anything it works out higher than it should be.

Err Matty...an N/A L67 Ecotec would put put less HP due to the lower compression..

EDIT:: if you times your 207 FWKW by 0.8 for a 20% loss due to blower belts you end up with 165.6 FWKW which sounds about right !

Last edited:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Oh ok.... *puts on noob hat*

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
((Standard_Power (KW) / 14.7 ) + Turbo_PSI )*(Standard_Power (KW) / 14.7 ) = Theoretic_Power (KW where the initial Power was measured)

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
mattman said:
Oh ok.... *puts on noob hat*

You can take it of in 5 mins if your good...:p

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
MBS206 said:
Okay, I have to ask a question here.

I was always told, if you want to figure out an approximate power level with you boost, to take your standard power, divide it by 14.7 (14.7PSi = 1atmosphere pressure) then add on what ever PSI you want to run to 14.7, and multiply the number you just worked out before.

Now the same works in reverse if you want to know the approx N/A power.

So I took your 246.6KW, and divided it by 22.7. Which is equal to 10.86 approx (rounded)
Now, I multiply that by 14.7, and get 159kw...

So. Did your car magically make more power then it should have standard? (12KW is a fair margin of difference from standard)
And isn't that power output at the rear wheels also? So we take into consideration normally a 30% parasitic loss through the driveline, but today, we'll take only a 20% loss, which will work your fly power out to be 182KW.

So if your dyno graph is correct and at the rear wheels, then your motor standard, made 182KW or more (As I didn't factor in the problems due to heat from the turbos etc) which, is 35KW more then standard for a VS Ecotec...

So, can you explain what mode the dyno readout was in. As for company purposes, dyno graphs are meant to be done in SAE mode.
And then, can you verify why, or how, your car appears to make more power then it should.

In regards to my part up the top with how to estimate new power once boosted, you then have to lower that expectation due to heating of the air which will rise pressure etc etc. Hence, as we work through, we'll find your NA power should be higher then I figured...

I'm struggling to see, where, or how it made that much power standard.

MBS206, Hi and thanks for your concern, i really don't Know where you plucked these figures out from, taking a standard engine and the applying a
boost number to work out your horse power out put is flaud and bullshit way of doing things.
I don't know if there is any envy here, but i do know that theories and
real world practical results can be two different creatures.
If your theory is correct, this means that supercharged cars will have the same power output as turbo charged cars as long as they run the same boost level, and never mind the differences It places on the engines volumetric efficiencies.
This would also mean an engine running a small turbocharger at 8psi, according
to your theory would make the same power as the same engine with a large
turbocharger.
So gee wiz, all us dyno operators have been ripped off, coz if we knew about
your magic formula, we could have all saved $60-80,000 dollars each and bought a calculator in stead.
If you have any other concerns regarding the dyno figures I suggest you call
Dyno Dynamics and address the inaccuracies with them.:D

Cheers Lou.

MBS206

Reaction score
The equation is used all around the world to give an estimate on power.
Obviously the power given will always be a bit under that of the theoretical power.

Now taking that statement into consideration, you're getting more power then you theoretically SHOULD.

Since you're the guys marketting this, I'm asking you the questions.
I'm not envious. I don't want huge power from my commodore, I don't even want it turbo or supercharged.
But I would like to know, was the dyno run in SAE mode? As the person creating this kit (from what I can gather you are) you should be able to answer these. If you can't, you look pretty stupid, and a few potential customers may walk away since you can't answer technical information that you should be able to provide.