Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Price and quality

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
kit you get springs and memcal plus cam to suit rrp is about 1100 i can get them cheaper than that around the $800 mark.

Reason why theyre expensive is crow use new stock and because they're a roller cam They charge an extra 150 for tune to suit hgher comp so its the memcal youll pay the rest for springs are only $60.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Thanks Pub247. That clears things up for me. How much other stuff is required for the swap? Manifold gaskets? Head gaskets? Water pump gaskets? Timing chain? New pushrods? Retainers? I'm organising my first cam swap and dont have a great knowledge of what will need replacing

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You need to take timing cover off which means water pump if you havent replaced it before i suggest replacing it best if you can take sump off as sump gasket seals on the bottom of timing cover and can leak when you take it off silicon willl help for a while if you chosse not to remove sump
you'll need a crow multi keyway timing set about $80 and new timing cover gaskey and sump one if you choose to remove it.
If your careful you can remover timing cover and waterpump without distrubing it if you vhoose not to replace it. Depending cam will determine what other valvetrain parts are needed crow can tell you what parts are recommend to go with it you can do the springs swap without removing heads youll need a special valve spring compressor and a way to stop the valves dropping out the cylinder you can buy an airline fitting to pressuzie cylinder to hold valve up

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
In saying this though there are differences, in particular the base circle diameter is smaller then on the XPZ cam meaning that the acceleration rates of the valves is even higher with the XPZ item.

So in other words his cam is a regrind? He was quick to mention on another forum it was an XPZ. Much of a muchness but he said it, not me.

MACE

Reaction score
We can supply new billet CROW grinds for $535. That kit what your after we can supply for just under a grand from memory, as we're a distributor of theirs ;)

QUOTE]

Hey guys, just wondering what you actually get in the "kit" that makes it cost twice as much as the cam on its own????

As Pub247, the crow cams we supply are made from new billets and are not regrinds, hence the price difference.

So in other words his cam is a regrind? He was quick to mention on another forum it was an XPZ. Much of a muchness but he said it, not me.

No it's not a regrind. We did contemplate a regrind however it would have been messy in a sense that we would have had to have had the cam re hardened plus the cost of the initial cam. So bit the bullet an got a custom one made up. Took longer to get done though :(