Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Probably a dumb question about OTR CAI installation, but...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm about done with the planning stages of all the goodies I want to put into the ute... Now it's just a matter of getting it done, bit by bit.

I'm looking at getting a VCM OTR intake (MAF) and I'm wondering if it's essential to get a tune done now or if the car will run ok without one until everything else is done (rather than getting a bunch of tunes done with each mod). I know you need a tune if the intake is MAFLESS but is it the same for a MAF intake? Never installed one before so have no idea! From what I've read most people get a tune done at the same time but also get the headers, cats, exhaust, etc done then too. I'll be doing mine in stages.

Suppose a phone call to an exhaust shop would give me the answer but just thought I'd put this out there.

Thanks in advance.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Hey buddy.
Just giot my VE SSV tuned along with an Orrosm OTR intake.

If you getta OTR intake with no tune, you will losse power due to the fact that coz it is a Ram air intake style, there will be alot more air going through, computer will trigger more fuel..and u will start running rich. From what I heard, our cars are already running a tad too rich from stock. (Please correct me if i'm wrong guyz)

If your in sydney...go to Marranos in Croydon and speak to Sonny.

hope this helps

-Geoff

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
i would do headers before OTR. OTR even with a tune will not give you much benefits.

The reason why everyone says do headers, cats, exhaust, otr all in one hit is to save on retune costs.

If i was you i would wait on the otr. Save some more coin do the full exhaust system. even without a tune the full exhaust system will give you far more benefits without a tune than a otr with a tune.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thanks guys. Figured that would be the case. Think what I'll do first is the 3inch exhaust, then in a few weeks, do the headers, cats, otr and tune. After that, fatter sway bars, shockers and nolathane and last off some meaty AP brakes. Think I'll be happy for a while then.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
hey Tinsnips - from what the tunner said

bang for buck..OTR and tune will give u better results

i have otr and cat back - next stage is headers and 3" cats and a touch up tune.

touch up tunes are not as expensive thena base tune.

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
badly....!!

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I agree with that statement totally.

Just another one for yu guys, If I upgrade from a 2.5" full exhaust to a 3" full exhaust 1 3/4 headers, will I have to get the car retuned again? I am thinking that the 2.5" and 1 5/8 headers could be holding me back a tad. And what are the opinions of mild steel compared to stainless?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Gday Daz. Pretty sure you'll need another tune as the gas flow rate will be different. Should only be minor tweaks though. I like stainless for the deeper note and durability, although having said that I'll probably opt for mild steel as I want to do some tarmac rallies and mild will be lighter and it will no doubt cop a bit of a beating so will be cheaper to repair