Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems..Check engine light and limp home mode. fuel? Electric?

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
I'll try and keep this short!!
The car is an '08 VE sportswagon with 165k

The family went away for a short holiday to Bright Victoria this week. This missus filled the car late last week with BP ultimate (our normal choice but it's price dependent) when the price was cheap prior to the school holidays. I also did an oil and filter change the day before we left. The car ran beautifully on the way up there - it's about 5hrs with a small detour we had to make to drop the dog off at some friends. We also did a run up to Mt Buffalo and a few short trips around town. We left at lunch time today and I put $50 of regular BP in it (@ $1.50/l), loaded everyone up and headed home. After about 50km, it felt like the car was starting to lightly surge. I was running cruise control but there was no change in speed and the revs seemed constant so I assumed that it must have been surface changes or my imagination. After about 100km the missus asked whether the car was surging so I knew it wasn't me!! It continued in a similar fashion without getting noticeably worse until about Broadford (approx 300km) when the warning bells started - The CHECK ENGINE alarm, followed by the TRACTION CONTROL OFF alarm and REDUCED POWER/SAFETY mode. I pulled over and called my father-in-law who is our mechanic. The temp gauge was normal, water and oil were all fine. He said there was nothing that could be done on the side of the road and continue on. Every 30 or so Km the warning bells would sound again. About 30Km from home (after getting the dog and with the missus driving), the surging got worse, especially above 100 km/hr. We soldiered on.. until about 5km from home the safety mode flashed again and the car lost almost all power. There was nothing we could really do with 2 young kids and the dog so we limped home at about 30-40km/hr.

We're getting the car towed to the mechanic's tomorrow after I take out the kiddie seats and put them in the old VT.

Does this sound like **** fuel?
Could it be electric?
Any other suggestions?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
funny enough this is a similar problem mate had on his car (VS sedan) filled up with E10 unleaded and his did the same, except for limp home mode, he managed to get rid of a good part of the fuel and put regular unleaded in and after a while the car perked up and his engine light went out. alot of standard/E10 fuel is low aromatic (supposedly to stop sniffing) as I was responible for vehicle maint. where I work we had a couple of vans (2005 toyota's) throw engine lights, had them looked at and the code was fuel related, mechanic told us this is a typical problem with some cars as the low aromatic fuel clogs the O2 sensors, had to run at least one tank of premium to 3/4 tanks of reg fuel to prevent it from happening, and it worked as he reset the engine light and it didn't happen again, hope this helps, not sure about other holden cars-sidi, alloytec, V8

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
I didn't use E10, it was just a suggested solution. I thought that if was water, I could use the ethanol content to allow the water to mix and be burnt without the need to drain everything.

All the symptoms seems to lead back to a bad tank of fuel as everything was perfect before.

I hope the father-in-law can solve it easily and cheaply!!!

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I noticed your in Melb if you want me to check logged error codes, if your local I'll drop by and check codes might shead more light on the situation :) otherwise hopefully goods news from mechanics.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
I'm out west near Hoppers. I've been looking at the code readers on ebat just not got around to getting one yet!!
I'll call RACV and get it towed. We've got the top cover so it's free.

Thanks for the offer

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
not saying you used e10, but this was happening with regular low aromatic (non e10) bp fuel on our work cars, hopefully yours is a simple fix, goodluck at the mechanics, keep us posted, the more info out there the better for all

Last edited:

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
oh...

We saw 2 servo's in town and specifically went for the BP as the cat gets less km on shell. The 98 was $1.70 so I got the regular, and just enough of that to get home. Kinda wish I just went for the one in the centre of town now.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm out west near Hoppers. I've been looking at the code readers on ebat just not got around to getting one yet!!
I'll call RACV and get it towed. We've got the top cover so it's free.

Thanks for the offer

No worries, please share what you find!

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also which reminds me, I have a scantool I paid around $130 for about 6 month ago, I'm saving to buy a GM Tech2 with Australian Holden Card for about 4k so if anyone wants to buy my scantool happy to let it go for a good price.