Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problems i have with my 2000 holden commodore V6 3.8L?

Abdullah

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 holden commodore 3.8L V6 VT
i bought this car new in the late of 2000. we call it there in Kuwait Chevrolet Lumina.

1- what do you call my model? is it VX?

2- there is vibrations at speeds from 120km and up? is that the driveshaft? this vibration lately makes the car vibrates badly when i apply brakes?
do i need to replace the driveshaft with a better balanced one?

3- the A/C compressor is very close from the exhaust manifold on the left side of the engine and that makes the compressor to get defected very soon ( replacing compressor seals and some kind of a valve inside the compressor). i wrapped both of exhaust manifold with a special exhaust wrap (DEI wrap if i can remember) and special hi-temp coating, that wrap and coating helped but not enough. is there a modifecation to help keep the temprature away from the compressor?

4- is there a catalytic converter in this car? i saw there were like 3 mufflers at the bottom of the car? because i'm getting a bad gas milage and i thought if i replace the catalytic converter with a new one that will solve the problem?

5- if i replace the catalytic converter with a pipe will the check engine light come on?

thanks for help.

Abdullah

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Welcome Abdullah.

1. We call it the VX Commodre.

2. If the vibration makes the steering wheel shake then I would suggest you need a wheel balance. The vibration when braking could also be caused by unbalanced tyres (tires) or warped disc rotors.

3. To be honest, I have not heard of any problems with heat and the A/C compressor but you might have higher temperatures than us so I can't really advise on that.

4. The VX does have a catalytic converter and I would say the Lumina does also but I don't know if that would effect fuel economy. One of the main causes of bad milage is oxygen sensors that are not working properly. If the oxygen sensors have never been replaced it might be worth changing them.

5. Here in Australia it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter, I don't know about your laws. In answer to your question, I don't think the check engine light will come on.

Gerry

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
Welcome Abdullah.

1. We call it the VX Commodre.

2. If the vibration makes the steering wheel shake then I would suggest you need a wheel balance. The vibration when braking could also be caused by unbalanced tyres (tires) or warped disc rotors.

3. To be honest, I have not heard of any problems with heat and the A/C compressor but you might have higher temperatures than us so I can't really advise on that.

4. The VX does have a catalytic converter and I would say the Lumina does also but I don't know if that would effect fuel economy. One of the main causes of bad milage is oxygen sensors that are not working properly. If the oxygen sensors have never been replaced it might be worth changing them.

5. Here in Australia it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter, I don't know about your laws. In answer to your question, I don't think the check engine light will come on.

Gerry
+1 just about the same as i would reply.

Abdullah

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replies.

Gerry, yes, the steering wheel is shaking as well as the whole car.i know it is because of the bad brake rotors but the shaking steering wheel is caused by the driveshaft i believe.i still believe all that vibration and shaking is from the weak 2 piece driveshaft because the tires and wheels are balanced. there is an aluminum balanced drive shaft for the SS model (that has LS1 engine) from the USA for the pontiac GTO (same as LS1 holden commodore coupe). i will try it and see what will happen.

actualy i didn't find oxsygen sensors in my car at all. even the map sensor is not connected to the intake manifold at all.

i will replace the catalytic converter with a muffler of the same shape and size and see what will happen.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Have you taken it to a Holden Service centre in the Emirates ? If the MAF isnt connected, that could be causing a lot of things. MAF and Oxy sensors work in sync.

Abdullah

Reaction score
Members Ride
my car since it was new came that way from the dealer : no O2 sensors and the MAP sensor is not connected to the intake manifold (by a hose since the MAP sensor is far from the intake manifold).

the MAF sensor is there and connected with the air inake hoses and is working.

currently i have no SES light ( Service Engine Soon or check engine light ).

what software is available to calibrate and scan the PCM (car's computer)?

where can i get the cable for scanning and tunning from?

i know EFIlive will work with my car isn't that correct?