Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with the VN Commodore

Abigeus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore SIII
Hey All,

looking at buying a VN and I am doing a bit of a background search on them. Can anyone tell me what sort of problems that they have and what to watch out for?

It would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Abigeus :D ;) :unsure:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
there a pretty good car just watch out for rattling engines (bearings) diff clunking and slipping trans. they should drive straight and the wheel shouldnt wobble.

remember no matter what car you get your gonna have to fix things but they are all minor things

if you search you will find lots more common little problems you can look for

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
mmm door seals
tail lights filling with water,
leaks in boot (in spare tyre well)
electrics (if applicable)

umm valley gaskets...
tranny, make sure that is alright, don't wanna be up for like $2000 to recondition/replace it.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
oh, and also the dreaded "BLUE" vn paint.

that sky blue colour, dont buy it!!

it seems like the majority of that colour fu<k up real bad and start to peal.

i see it all the time.

V

vn4play

coil packs, dfi module,
also the silver paint fades really bad(i have seen heaps of calais with rust all over the roof around here all silver.)

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
if the coil packs or dfi are stuffed then it wont be for sale as it won go!!!!!

W

whykickamoocow_85

look out for any sign of oil leaks cos mine leaked heaps from the rear main just after i bought it and it cost me about $500 to fix. apparently this is a common problem in VN's from what i have heard

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
seabs said:
mmm door seals
tail lights filling with water,
leaks in boot (in spare tyre well)
electrics (if applicable)
umm valley gaskets...
QUOTE]

Totally agree with these absolute must to check
Also rust around bottom of the rear windscreen check with the boot open cause thats where ll the water sits and rust begins, Front windsreen up top for rust.
They are renowed to have real lights that would set a rave off
Brake on Parker off, Brake off Parker ON even lope sided

Abigeus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore SIII
Thanks all, will check it all out. will post my findings and see what you all think. if anyone else has got any suggestions please keep posting

Cheers,

Abigeus

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Just check everything as you would with any car ie: tyres, brakes, fluids, leaks, electrics, accident damage, rust, gearbox (hot and cold), clutch (if it has one), radiator for coolant and whilst running, exhaust, unusual noises from the motor, body and suspension whilst driving etc. If it's an auto make sure the gears change up easily and it kicksdown when it should. Series I VNs are very harsh on the change from 1st to 2nd. As per a previous post check for any leak from between the gearbox and enginge.
All the V6 Commodores should respond to the throttle immediately so if it doesn't could be just a tune required but you would think the owner would have done that prior to selling. So beware of the old " oh I was gonna get it serviced in a coupla weeks". Sometimes it is true but many times it is not. Ask them to get it serviced and you'll have another look when it's done.
Injectors are noisy so unless they are really loud it's normal. Coil packs, Crank Angle sensors, DFI module can and do fail occasionally but if the car is running, they haven't failed yet.
Best tips are to get a competent mechanic to check it over first (unless you are one yourself) and to test drive more than one car so you can pick any differences or confirm how they should drive.
If you have any reservations about a car, just walk away. There are plenty around.