Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project help to repower 92' VP S V6 with 304 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VP SS
Hi there any help would be appreciated....ideally like to chat with someone who has done same repower project or very similar with perhaps VN?
First off my intention is to use the 304 out of a VN or a VP wrecked or parted car to keep it certified...1st question for someone???....does the V8 Loom and ecu from a v8 VN or VP plug into the vp S v6 computer stuff???
I understand that I will need to install a V8 K frame as well as other things....cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Very short answer: No. ECUs are engine and transmission specific.

If you're asking if you can just plug it in and it'll work, the answer is no. They use the same type of ECU (but I'm unsure about differences in plugs etc) but at the very minimum you'll need a memcal change if you want to use that ECU. You're probably better off just getting a complete V8 ECU.

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VP SS
Thankyou for youre feedback R J K...........I am aware that the ecu is specific to engine and transmission and in purchasing an engine my intention is to get one complete with the ECU complete...

My understanding of anything that is plug associated most often has 2 ends and I guess the question I really wanted to ask was............. ....will the V8 ECU that comes with the 304 engine I will purchase plug into the VP S v6 end of its computer stuff???
I also realize that the Transmission will have to be the 4L60 hydraulic one and not the electronic one that came shortly after the VP.

would really love to chat with someone that has done this repower job.....surely its been done before??????

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The 808 ECUs are all the same in VN-VP V6 and V8, auto or manual. The only difference is memcal tune. Your looms will all be compatible but it'll have to be modified for the sensor setup on a V8 verses a V6. Most of the V6 loom will just unplug/plug/fit the 304 sensors, but probably not all. I've never fully checked.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
plug into the VP S v6 end of its computer stuff???

Not really sure what you mean by that. There's an engine loom that connects to an ECU, nothing in between. The "V6 computer stuff" and V6 loom comes out when you ditch the V6.

If you're trying to use a VR/VS V8 ECU (even though you said VN/VP), you will need to get a memcal with VATS turned off if you want to go down this path (otherwise it won't start), in which case you could also then use a 4l60e.

Maybe a better question is what is this motor from? If you're getting a complete engine/loom/ecu from a VN/VP then you're set.

H

harrop.senator

He's asking if the pcm bcm connection is the same im assuming. It sounds like he's asking if I buy a 304 with harnesses and computers what other modifications are deemed necessary for the electrical side to work.

He knows he needs the k frame correct matching box but what wiring he'll need to change if any to plug it all in.

Unfortunately not worked on many n/ps man someone else will surely be able to help. I know the body harness was changed out when a mate did a 304 into v6 vr . If it were me man buy a whole car and put it next to it it's what I've always done with motor conversions.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
This is the most straight forward conversion there is. Body harness and plugs are the same between v6 and v8. The 808 ecu's are the same between models but the Memcal changes.

Mechanically you'll need to change engine/trans, gearbox crossmember, tailshaft, k frame, radiator, cruise control (if equipped), cluster (or change position of resistor in v6 cluster to read correctly for the 8). You'll need the loom for the v8 too along with the condenser fan. Air con lines are different but condenser should be the same. Cat back exhaust will bolt up.

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VP SS
Not really sure what you mean by that. There's an engine loom that connects to an ECU, nothing in between. The "V6 computer stuff" and V6 loom comes out when you ditch the V6.

If you're trying to use a VR/VS V8 ECU (even though you said VN/VP), you will need to get a memcal with VATS turned off if you want to go down this path (otherwise it won't start), in which case you could also then use a 4l60e.

Maybe a better question is what is this motor from? If you're getting a complete engine/loom/ecu from a VN/VP then you're set.

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VP SS
Thanks....im staying away from the 4l60E and keeping with the earlier 4L60 set up and trying to source a 304 and trans from either VN/VP wreck if possible in NZ..that way I will get the K Frame which is specific to the VP as well?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VN to VS V8 k-frames are all the same.