Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It could be both FPR's are bad. If they've been sitting dry after a whole life in fuel the rubber diaphragms probably aren't happy.

You could try putting a clamp on the return line and then see what it does.

On the V6 models the pump is wired through the oil pressure switch, are the V8's the same?
Yeah I could just be unlucky and both regs be bad, and maybe removing my original one just upset it enough that it died completely.

I tried to clamp the return line, it wouldn't start at all when I did that.

I believe the V8's are the same however I believe it was an additional circuit for if the fuel relay died it would bypass to that circuit. However mine doesn't run an oil pressure switch and hasn't for years (I run a gauge and a temp sensor instead). I would test it however I wrapped all that wiring up when I redid the engine loom as I didn't need it anymore. However the car was starting no issues after the rewire without that wiring there.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
A fuel pressure Guage will tell all.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
A fuel pressure Guage will tell all.
Yup, new FPR has a gauge so that will be handy to have anyway for future troubleshooting.

And it's a 3 port regulator too which will be handy for future shennanigans if needed.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
ignition module perhaps? They are known to be troublesome on the 5 litre
This was my thought too. Plugs will be wet if spark isn't strong, coil or ignition module if you have spares to swap

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
This was my thought too. Plugs will be wet if spark isn't strong, coil or ignition module if you have spares to swap
Check your wires on the plug my ss had a miss/surge the ending cutting out in my driveway swapped everything spark wise to find it was the two wire had broken in the wiring plug to the coil,V6 injectors plug is the same as that's what I spliced in as a replacement can swap a dizzy on my guts now as done it twice before I found the broken plug/clip

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yup, new FPR has a gauge so that will be handy to have anyway for future troubleshooting.

And it's a 3 port regulator too which will be handy for future shennanigans if needed.
Can you run it with that factory vac line so you still get the more accurate fuelling at idle?