Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pull the vacuum hose off the back of it and check condition.
Or if it wet with fuel you know the reg is leaking internally.
Vacuum hose is brand new looks ok condition wise, but I can smell a little bit of fuel in the vacuum hose which could explain why it goes super rich before it leans out as it would be drawing fuel directly into the intake.

I've got a spare reg in a cupboard I'll try and swap it over tonight.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Update, swapped over with 2 spare regulators I had in the shed (both VN-VS ones).

Both made the problem worse, the car now runs for 3-5 seconds then dies (runs out of fuel, coughs splutters then dies). Which is leading me to think the fuel pump just isn't keeping up and is falling over (which makes sense it's about 20 odd years old which is a fair run for a VN-VS pump).

I can also hear a bit of a gurgle from the tank when I'm priming it.

I think I've fixed my initial fuel pressure issue, and now thats corrected it's a lack of flow from the pump thats letting it down.

Siiiigh, I've been meaning to upgrade to a Walbro for a while to handle the bigger injectors when they go in so I guess no time like the present.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Update, swapped over with 2 spare regulators I had in the shed (both VN-VS ones).

Both made the problem worse, the car now runs for 3-5 seconds then dies (runs out of fuel, coughs splutters then dies). Which is leading me to think the fuel pump just isn't keeping up and is falling over (which makes sense it's about 20 odd years old which is a fair run for a VN-VS pump).

I can also hear a bit of a gurgle from the tank when I'm priming it.

I think I've fixed my initial fuel pressure issue, and now thats corrected it's a lack of flow from the pump thats letting it down.

Siiiigh, I've been meaning to upgrade to a Walbro for a while to handle the bigger injectors when they go in so I guess no time like the present.
https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/deatschwerks-dw200-255-lph-internal-fuel-pump/

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Still having issues, running out of ideas to try.

both my original reg and spare reg make the car only run for a few seconds then it dies, car stinks of fuel, plugs getting wet.

Have swapped the fuel pump, new fuel filter (tested into a bucket to make sure it's flowing), checked all sensors are reading in tuner pro (which they are), confirmed injectors are pulsing when cranking, checked spark.,

Just doesn't wanna fire for more than a few seconds, just coughs for a few seconds and dies.

I'm still leaning towards it being a fuel pressure issue (my spare reg is super old) however it's weird if I put my original reg back in the car still only runs for a few seconds, which is worse than the car was running before all this started.

Pumps priming ok, have swapped EFI relay and fuel pump relays just in case.

I really wish it was something as simple as a sensor but they are all checking out. Weirdest thing is the car ran just not well before now it doesn't run at all, and the only thing I've played with is the fuel regs haha.

Going camping for a few days, hopefully it will refresh my mind, it's been 3 days of pulling my hair out and going backwards. I've ordered a raceworks adjustable fuel reg with gauge so that way my fuel system is all brand new anyway for futureproofing and I'll be able to actually see what the fuel pressure is rather than just guessing it's ok, I've still got this niggling feeling it's a fuelling issue but I'd have to be super unlucky to have 2x bad bosch regulators

3 steps forward 19 steps back :p

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Still having issues, running out of ideas to try.

both my original reg and spare reg make the car only run for a few seconds then it dies, car stinks of fuel, plugs getting wet.

Have swapped the fuel pump, new fuel filter (tested into a bucket to make sure it's flowing), checked all sensors are reading in tuner pro (which they are), confirmed injectors are pulsing when cranking, checked spark.,

Just doesn't wanna fire, just coughs for a few seconds and dies.

I'm still leaning towards it being a fuel pressure issue (my spare reg is super old) however it's weird if I put my original reg back in the car still only runs for a few seconds, which is worse than the car was running before all this started.

Pumps priming ok, have swapped EFI relay and fuel pump relays just in case.

I really wish it was something as simple as a sensor but they are all checking out. Weirdest thing is the car ran just not well before now it doesn't run at all, and the only thing I've played with is the fuel regs haha.

Going camping for a few days, hopefully it will refresh my mind, it's been 3 days of pulling my hair out and going backwards. I've ordered a raceworks adjustable fuel reg with gauge so that way my fuel system is all brand new anyway for futureproofing and I'll be able to actually see what the fuel pressure is, I've still got this niggling feeling it's a fuelling issue.

3 steps forward 19 steps back :p
Is the vats turning off? Try locking unlocking with the key fob, then start? Only take a few seconds to try?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Is the vats turning off? Try locking unlocking with the key fob, then start? Only take a few seconds to try?
Yeah I've tried that, I've also turned off VATS in the tune just in case.

I've tried a spare PCM too just in case it was a bad fuel pump driver or something.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
It could be both FPR's are bad. If they've been sitting dry after a whole life in fuel the rubber diaphragms probably aren't happy.

You could try putting a clamp on the return line and then see what it does.

On the V6 models the pump is wired through the oil pressure switch, are the V8's the same?