Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Oil pump really isn’t the problem, it’s the excessive cam bearing clearances among a few other small things! But renewing the oil pump helps to disguise the problem.

Oil pressure switches are set at around 6psi. My ute’s had low oil pressure forever and it hasn’t bothered it. Oil light flickers at idle in 35+deg but that’s what it’s always done so I’m not concerned. It’s not noisy and doesn’t use a drop of oil so I’ll leave it alone lol. Even put a high volume pump on and didn’t really make a difference.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ordered new springs, going from King Springs Super Low to Low.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm tired of scraping everywhere and getting looks from the wrong people.

Other than that booked in a trip to Vic in a few weeks, taking the old girl for a weekend trip out to the Holden Museum in Echuca, hopefully it won't be too hot, the old girl doesn't like heat.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Changed your fan clutch since you’ve owned it? They’re shocking in the heat if the clutch isn’t up to it.

Will do well on the highway trip anyway!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah, pretty much everything on the car has been changed since I bought it (including 2 engines lol) and it's always had that issue anything over 35ish and she heats up fast, it's been better since I yanked the condenser out during the cam swap though. I think it's just the repco brand radiator struggling as thats the only thing consistent across all the engines.

Even tried with a HD fan clutch but that didn't drop the temps, it just robbed what felt like at least 30kw trying to spin the damn thing

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've only got a cheap radiator in mine. Is your condenser fan working properly? There was a problem with some of the condenser fans from the factory; the fan would come loose from the shaft and while it'd appear to be spinning/pulling air, it wouldn't work as well as it should.

I purchased a new fan clutch a while ago, and it was faulty. Was a truflow branded thing and was locked on fully. Damn they suck when they're locked on. I can't believe how much power they suck and how loud they are, it feels like you're towing a fully loaded tandem!

Anyway they recognised it was faulty and gave me a full refund and I ended up purchasing a dayco unit. Decided to go with a thermo fan instead on the statesman, and my 308 hj got the new dayco fan. The ute now runs consistently 10deg cooler in all conditions and the stato runs cool too.

Have you checked the actual coolant temp? Maybe your temp sender isn't up to scratch?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I removed the condenser and the fan completely, it's just the clutch fan and radiator these days, which has made it a little better.

Yeah, I've checked the temp with an IR gun, she gets to around 100ish with normal driving on a really hot day, which isn't extreme but also not ideal.

I've got a set of AU fans that i've been procrastinating installing because of how much current they draw. I want a BF single fan.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The condenser fan will come on at 106 degrees as per factory, so is kind of good to have as a safeguard. May be worth refitting it directly to the radiator. They have a 92 degree thermostat as standard, and 100 degrees is a pretty normal running temp for these things. Keep in mind that ecotecs run at around 110 degrees or so (pretty sure fans are triggered at 110 or 112 degrees). I'd start to worry when it gets over 110 degrees tbh.

But yeah single BF/FG is the go. I'm sure you've seen the thermo fan thread I put together already. AU's overhang the tanks on the VS radiator and ends up being quite ugly.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
ecotecs run at around 110 degrees or so (pretty sure fans are triggered at 110 or 112 degrees). I'd start to worry when it gets over 110 degrees tbh.
Hi
Low speed fan is triggered at above 104
High speed fan above 107
Thats the basics of it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks guys, good to know.

puts my mind at rest a bit.

someguy360

Reaction score