Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's amazing what a few extra kilo's does to braking performance in a bad way. The first time I drove my Senator with stock brakes it scared me :( I have T3 4000 rotors and QFM pads with full VX brake upgrade to match sitting on the shelf ready to go on with braided lines.

The plastic fantastic boosters on the VS are crap.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, did the maloos brakes last year, definitely fresher, so better, ( but not anything really special),but thinking for down the track if put more power in ,will definitely want better brakes.
Would probably do the same, ve upgrade, easier to return to standard.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's amazing what a few extra kilo's does to braking performance in a bad way. The first time I drove my Senator with stock brakes it scared me :( I have T3 4000 rotors and QFM pads with full VX brake upgrade to match sitting on the shelf ready to go on with braided lines.

The plastic fantastic boosters on the VS are crap.
Yeah they’re okay with the v6, but after I did the v8 conversion the thing was downright scary... with just the vt fronts, the car brakes the same as any vt-vz model. Feels pretty much exactly the same.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What does the VE upgrade involve?Sounds like you keep booster and MC?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The VE callipers use smaller pistons so will work with the smaller M/C in the older models but the booster is still crap...

I must admit though that engine tune has a lot to do with it as does engine condition. I know that on our L67 when driven hard that involves a lot of engine braking that eventually the brakes pedal will go away and it is caused by high vacuum from engine braking is sucking oil via the PCV system and contaminating the plugs and effects how the engine runs. Modifying and fitting a catch can mostly eliminated this issue. Tuning also has some effect, you need to make sure you have great vacuum at idle as this directly effects how well the booster works and making sure the non return valve on the booster is in good condition is crucial too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good info i am replacing my booster so will keep this in mind. Are the calipers straight fit? Or does it require new rotors as well?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE kit? I believe it's a kit with rotors and callipers as the VE uses a different rotor offset so it's not a simple bolt on proposition as I understand it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As far as I'm aware theres plenty of companies online that make the adapters that you need to centre the rotor and fit the VE calipers. You also need longer hoses which you can purchase online I believe.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So the downside to this week is I've been home with gastro the last few days.

The upside is I've used the less bowl hugging time to convert the cooling system over from the twin AU fans to the single BF fan as recommended by EYY (Great guide btw mate, I used your pics as a template and got it fit perfectly first time without even taking the rad out).

Brakes are all in, hopefully I'll get a chance on the weekend to take it out and give it a test.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Still using factory temp guage & where does it sit?

Just got mine driving new vs twin core,vs thermofan & 190f/82deg thermostat.

Takes ages to get to 1/4 mark so assume that's where thermostat opens/closes then above 1/4 to next digit fan comes on & turns off.