Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
C1l4t7e.jpg

Finished the suspension work over the weekend, have raised the front up from Super Lows to Lows and left the SL's in the rear which has brought it up to a more respectable height. The car feels so much smoother to drive now.

Qfmdbyu.jpg

Figured it was time.

Chasing a bit of valve train rattle around 1500 rpm when hot, it's fine at idle or under hard revs, it's just low down it's a bit chattery. Still runs fine, have redone preload on the roller rockers to see if this changes it.
I've done about 4000km on the new cam and lifters so I doubt it's a flat lobe. I reckon it's probably worn/soft valve springs. So far I'm yet to see a 304 that isn't a little noisy at times.

Hoping to get tint arranged once I'm back from NSW.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They’re generally noisier with extractors. Just seems to amplify the valve train noise. Sometimes you’ll get a lifter that bleeds down a little quicker than it should and can be a little noisy when the oil’s hot/thin.

Anything lower than low is a pain in the arse trying to jack them up lol. Even with lows in mine I still need to drive it up on planks of wood before I can get a jack in there.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
They’re generally noisier with extractors. Just seems to amplify the valve train noise. Sometimes you’ll get a lifter that bleeds down a little quicker than it should and can be a little noisy when the oil’s hot/thin.

Anything lower than low is a pain in the arse trying to jack them up lol. Even with lows in mine I still need to drive it up on planks of wood before I can get a jack in there.

Buying cheap lifters probably don't help too :p

Yeah, I could get my jack under SL's but I could barely make it out of my garage without ripping my Y pipe off.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah cat clearance has been an issue on sharp speed bumps, even though the car isn't low I think it's just the lwb doesn't help sometimes.

What lifters did you use? I purchased hylift johnson lifters and they were always a little bit noisy with hpr30. Noise is gone with hpr10 or hpr gas10.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Hoping to get tint arranged once I'm back from NSW.

If you don't already have someone lined up, suss out Scott's Custom Tint and Vinyl. He was up your way but I think he's moved now, but he quoted me $40 less than one of the leading brands for two windows. Did a good job, too. Only takes cash though....

You can contact him on FB Messenger, tell him what you want and he should get back to you with a quote

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah cat clearance has been an issue on sharp speed bumps, even though the car isn't low I think it's just the lwb doesn't help sometimes.

What lifters did you use? I purchased hylift johnson lifters and they were always a little bit noisy with hpr30. Noise is gone with hpr10 or hpr gas10.

I used Wolverine/Blueracer lifters (apparently Cranes budget side business) as it was all I could get off the shelf at short notice without going anti pumps.

If you don't already have someone lined up, suss out Scott's Custom Tint and Vinyl. He was up your way but I think he's moved now, but he quoted me $40 less than one of the leading brands for two windows. Did a good job, too. Only takes cash though....

You can contact him on FB Messenger, tell him what you want and he should get back to you with a quote

Nice, thanks mate, will definitely look into that!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Nah, just OEM replacement, don't need the extra noise of anti's as I'm only revving to 4k on a good day.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
What spring you end up throwing in the front? Im going to do the same, over the harshness. Yours sits really well.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
What spring you end up throwing in the front? Im going to do the same, over the harshness. Yours sits really well.

Just King Spring Lows mate, it was running super lows before.