Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project VEE EL

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Cheers Niick, yah i personally love the vl's too. not because the turbo because of the shape and style, always have and always will.

well its monday so updates will be happening later,
working a bit more on it today i reckon and ill get some shots at day time for once:)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
bit blurry but gives you a idea of whats a head today.

pictures will be up when i finish today

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
well today, i did some cleaning with the strippers but soon got bit over it and went out motorbike riding, geez thats not the enthusiasum
but while i was working on the car i discoverd some nice bogg skills in use.
front window had 5 mm of bogg over rust and filled rust holes :ranting: slack buggers who couldnt be bothered doing it right.

so update, what have a done:unsure:
- dash out
- boot lid off
- cleaned all around rusted area (all paint off),
- cleaned bogg of front window
- discovered more rust:D

Pictures:

Boot less,

Wheel Well, mmmm rust:w00t:

Front window Left hand side,

Front window Right hand side,

Geez thats Hecktic,

and a little goal of mine is to be quicker then the rexxy as a minmum (when turbo)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update time,

bought my self a little compressor so that i was able to start working and with it being a little tank (40L) running the cutter at full boar soon emptys it.
so every few minutes i have to stop and let the compresor build up the pressure and have a breather as its constantly pumping to keep the tool cutting.
started to work on the rust on the rear of the car, been cutting a few pieces out.
so far i have cut: the spare wheel well base, partial parts of the boot lip, rusted section along the rear window and the bottom of the 1/4 panel.

im not going to be to overly focsed on the rust on the bottom part of the windows as im going to be a new panel and spot weld it in.
so much easyer and means there will defently be no rust in it.

Pictures:

bit blurry but a picture in light for once. my phone decided to improve once we pushed it back inside:bang:
[URL=http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image009qn4.jpg] [/URL]

Left hand Bottom rear window, cut it out but desided ill just buy the new section and spot weld it in.

Left hand side boot lip, was rusted away so i cut it of neater then will cut more when needed.

Spare wheel well base, cutted out and just needing a new piece shaped and welded in once its all preped for it.

Right hand1/4 panel bottom, cut it out to find it had rust thought to the other side, so was a little surpruise there. just means i have to take the fuel pipe cover of in the wheel arch to get to the back.

Bit of a action shot, Sparky Sparky

mostly did it on sunday, as i didnt get the compressor till saturday and didnt get the die grinder till sunday. so this week im hoping i should get more work done as i have the tools to do the work now and im also able to get air tools from work now and use them.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update,

i have not done anything since last week, so its really not a update:p
Bought a huge tarp to cover the car which ended up costing me $75. i decided not to get a car cover as it would not be able to stop water as good as the tarp.
im just saving up as i need to buy the new panels for the windows and once i have them im able to drill the old panel out and get it all lined up. then spot weld them in

only pictures i can really show are of the new panels im getting.
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/de..._number=RP1059
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/de..._number=RP2007

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update,

well really crap all has been done, havnt been able to do any work with the recent downpoor adeladie has been having, im really needing to spend more time on it but i am having problems because of the weather and the car being uncovered so the risk of getting it wet.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update time, tonight instead of tommorow

havnt hand much chance to touch the car as of the weather has been stopping me uncover it.
today finally i had a chance so peeled back the cover to find that from all the moister in the air it had oxerdised the metal a little bit but with a quick rub it will be all good. i cutted out the last bits of metal which needed to be removed and now welding is going to be starting soon.
change of plans has decided that i will not be buying the new panels as from what my boss has told me they dont fit quite well and will not align up the best, so repair of the rust holes is under way and new pieces are going in.

now if weather stays good i should have the new metal pieces cut to size and shape ready for welding by hopefully the weekend,
on the weekend welding of the new pieces in might be started if im able to get access to the mig welder.
then ill be using wurth rust convertor on the areas which have some rust patches but not fully in need of replacement and prime the areas up.

hopefully mid next i will be starting panel work and getting the car staright and set for priming where needed.

so if all happens how im hopping the car could be ready for paint in 2 weeks but thats if the weather stays good, im able to get the welder and i dont encounter any problems. along shot but i seem to work better with goals so its a goal, alot of things im hoping on to work like clock work but if it doesnt just means a bit longer of being off the road.

Pictures:

Left Hand Bottom, i had to cut a bit more of the panel away as the middle panel had rusted between the top and seat belt guard metal.

Right Hand Bottom, same as the other side.

where the car is now after ive been kicked out of the carport so the rexxy can have shelter.

there is a bit of rust in it, but not as much as the picture shows. its just rust stains from where water had got though before which makes it look like theres alot.

Last edited: