Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prominent ticking/rattling sound from engine

D

drift450

Try also lodging with Consumer affairs or see if there if the Ombudsman will interveen. Means the faults are logged publicly and that all people may benefit from a warranty claim. Also works wonders with persuading a little better customer service....

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
My 25th anniversary has done 28 000 kz and it suffers the same, it shivers and makes a clicking sound its not pleasnt.My dealer had said they changed the lifters but a couple of kz later same noise is existing does any1 no how to get rid off the sound completly? a friend of mine theyve got a VY acclaim and theyve done about 30 000 and they havnt got this problem is it one in ten that suffers.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
And the stories keep coming....

Hi,
I am not suprised to hear that my engine was not the only one to be ruined at the factory before I ever took delivery of the vehicle. I have had nothing but trouble with the vehicle since new, also with so many things not related to the engine, and going by the popularity of this website, a lot of other people have lots of trouble too.

Just stick to your guns when it comes to your rattly motors. Start name dropping as was suggested by previous users. It makes a difference.

I have had a few commodores. Never again. Holden have such a market dominance, but I want a quality vehicle, not a beta release.

L

lowvy

hey, my vy had the same noise at 70 thousand k took it to holden and they replaced some exhaust valves. This made no improvment so i took it bak to them and then they replaced the whole engine. They told me it was piston rattle. All good after that.

JacksonVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2
Hey, i've got the exact same thing happening with my VX series 2. Its only got 108000kms on it. Also hearing it from under the driver side door like you are. The dissapointing part is that the car only started doing it 3 months after i bought it and it had just passed its warranty period. I've dropped new lifters in it and its still noisy, getting worse actually.

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
Piece of shrapnel sized slag caught in the catalyct converter? thats what happened to mine when i got the whole exhaust done. think the guy said it came from the welding joints between the gaskets/headers, or something.. only seemed to tick after it got to a certain temperature or rpm.
probably completely irrelevant though hey :whistling

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
Valves.......

Fish!

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
way to bring up an old thread hahaha, i didnt even have my car back in 2005! when this thread was started :p

but now i do have a car...with 173,000kms on it... and it sounds like it has the same problem.. it ticks its little heart out and sounds like its gonna dump a whole bunch of bolts. Except my ticking seems to go away at 2500 revs and above

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
Valves......

Fish!

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
worn camshaft lobes/springs/VALVES/leaking headers/leaking other part of exhaust/timing chain/stuffed rockers/lifters and the list goes on.