Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pros and cons on camshaft upgrade ?

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Hi All,

I am thinking about a camshaft upgrade on a vf ssv redline series 2 with the w375.
I don't know a lot about what a cam pack does for a car. I don't plan to take car on track days or anything like that. It will be just a everyday car.

My reason on getting a cam upgrade is .... I just really like the "lumpy chuggy" sound they make.

So what are the pros and cons? Really want to know more of the negative side of things with a camshaft upgrade.

Cheers,

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
People usually upgrade cams for power and sound. There's a few cons but that depends on the cam you choose.

Small cams give out more torque and low end power
Mild cams give a compromise of more torque and power in the midrange
Big cams give lots of high end power but sluggish down low

Camming a car usually uses more fuel but that really depends on the cam and how you drive. People say big cams are a pig to drive but it's all really down to how it's been tuned. If it's just an everyday car then a small or mild cam will surfice for the street.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Manual or Auto also comes into play..

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
From reading your post I think you should stick with what you have or you may end up one of those guys that gets conned into a big lumpy cam who sells the car soon after.
Hi All,

I am thinking about a camshaft upgrade on a vf ssv redline series 2 with the w375.
I don't know a lot about what a cam pack does for a car. I don't plan to take car on track days or anything like that. It will be just a everyday car.

My reason on getting a cam upgrade is .... I just really like the "lumpy chuggy" sound they make.

So what are the pros and cons? Really want to know more of the negative side of things with a camshaft upgrade.

Cheers,

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
People usually upgrade cams for power and sound. There's a few cons but that depends on the cam you choose.

Small cams give out more torque and low end power
Mild cams give a compromise of more torque and power in the midrange
Big cams give lots of high end power but sluggish down low

Camming a car usually uses more fuel but that really depends on the cam and how you drive. People say big cams are a pig to drive but it's all really down to how it's been tuned. If it's just an everyday car then a small or mild cam will surfice for the street.
Thanks for the info, I'm looking at stg1 walki.

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
I have a manual VF1 SSV redline - got a cam, intake tune and full system fitted before the car left the dealership. Added a nice, relaxed 100Kw over stock.

I've been very happy with it - the car is a daily driver so mine is a mid range or mild cam - bit lumpy on idle but the car really jumps when I want it to. Fuel consumption around town is probably a little higher than stock (bear in mind that manuals don't have the AFM but then your auto VFII doesn't either) and fuel consumption on a trip is a little better than stock.

I'd do it again - with the VFII you'd be looking at around 400Kw normally aspirated which is plenty and enough to overcome the car's mass to give it that "alive" feel.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
With an automatic you will need a higher stall converter the bigger (and more lumpy) the cam you go.
The higher your stall converter the more fuel you'll use and generally the more 'difficult ' you will find your daily drive.
Your bigger cams require you to be closer to the power band (+3500 rpm) to run right otherwise you'll literally limp along while Toyota Corollas fly past you due to the lack of low end torque and vehicle weight.
You can really regret doing this if you aren't sure what you're after.
I'd see if there's anyone near you (with an LS3) who can show you what cam they have and how the car responds. There's little sense spending that kind of money on something you might loathe in the end.

Last edited: