Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PSA. How to tell the difference between T56 and TR6060

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well that’s another story again. Most people have been asking if they have a T56 or TR6060 so now we know how to tell the difference. The instruction manual I referenced also confirms that very early VEs had T56 boxes and everything else VE/VF is TR6060

Pretty sure the only critical factor between TR6060 boxes in Holden’s is if it’s got a dual mass flywheel or not. HSVs might be a different story though.
Hi A

The only way to identify which transmission you have fitted is by the TUET number on the tag, which is generally on the right hand side of the transmission at the back. The T56 part numbers are TUET7000 and TUET8381. There are about 14 different TR-6060's fitted to VE/VF's.

If you can let us know the TUET number we can then help with more info.

Regards,
Paul

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Hi Andy?

Hi Arthur?

Hi Anton?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd be curious to know what the 14 differences are. A VE/VF body over the years has the same shifter position and the GM trans bolt patterns are interchangeable. I always assumed the difference in 6060's was for the varying OEM applications i.e Ford vs GM

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i think there were at least 5 or so different gear ratios for them so most changes will prob just be small stuff like that, maby a seal change or shaft or something

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hi A

The only way to identify which transmission you have fitted is by the TUET number on the tag, which is generally on the right hand side of the transmission at the back. The T56 part numbers are TUET7000 and TUET8381. There are about 14 different TR-6060's fitted to VE/VF's.

If you can let us know the TUET number we can then help with more info.

Regards,
Paul
Is that the email from Mal Wood?

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd be curious to know what the 14 differences are. A VE/VF body over the years has the same shifter position and the GM trans bolt patterns are interchangeable. I always assumed the difference in 6060's was for the varying OEM applications i.e Ford vs GM
It can be minor stuff. Ratios as above are the obvious one, but more internal stuff too like updated syncros or different gear materials, or case changes which don't actually change the fitment dimensions like extra ribbing or casting changes. So it may be that there are 14 different versions of the box total, but dimensionally for fitment there might be only 3 or 4 (or IDK) different versions of the box, but they still need the ID to find out which group it falls into. I have no idea though.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It can be minor stuff. Ratios as above are the obvious one, but more internal stuff too like updated syncros or different gear materials, or case changes which don't actually change the fitment dimensions like extra ribbing or casting changes. So it may be that there are 14 different versions of the box total, but dimensionally for fitment there might be only 3 or 4 (or IDK) different versions of the box, but they still need the ID to find out which group it falls into. I have no idea though.
After a bit of googling seems there two types. Early and late model, difference is input shafts, dual vs single mass. The Commodores share the same ratios, different OEM do not

Screenshot_20230222_184842_Edge_1.jpg

Last edited: