Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pub's Darkside Project EF Fairmont

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
After Helping build a couple of turbo falcons with great results (one make 500rwhp and the other makes 200rwkw on just 6psi). I realised how great these cars can be and be done reasonably cheap aswell. I decided i wanted to do one myself and look at start making some money off them.

I started out Looking for an ED XR6 as i like the old squarer look and love the bootlip and twin head front on them. My budget was $1000. I found one over 100k's away on the other side of city spoke to the owner saw some pics and i decided id buy it. $200 later with a new battery fan belt and a $70 permit Kris and I headed over to pick it up. ####ing hell what a POS it was no paint the roof had been smashed in the front with dodgey rattler spray job front twin light grill was ####ed and the drivers side wheel stuck an inch out past the gaurd. So that was a waste of money managed to refunds on everything bar $70 permit. Never going sight unseen again.

Turns out you cant get a Decent one for that money so i looked at EB XR6's and still couldnt find a decent one for that price. So i decided to look at fairmonts instead now there was quite a few ED-EB's going for between 500-1000 and i went and looked at 7. Only one came close to what i wanted a nice clean body in a decent colour. I went and checked it out twice realised on 2nd look it had a blown headgasket no biggie they alway go on these. Was very close to buying until i decided to run a revs check Sheriffs warrant and emcumberence. ####!!!

As you can tell i wasnt having much luck finding a decent car for my budget so one night on carsales whilst searching for fairmont at lowest price i came across a EF Fairmont at a car yard . Looked really clean in pictures just traded well i not being a fan of EF-EL body shape i still decided to go look at it.

Turns out this one was a winner its by no means perfect but it did have one feature i picked up on in the ad and comfirmed in Person. A tickford engine (has receipt for reconditioned motor) unlike the rest mechanically it seems excellant new tyres and brakes new rear suspension new camber kit in front and ball joints. Body has 2 or 3 small dents and front bar could do with respray (country car from mildura) and theres some clear coming off rear spoiler (probably remove it anyway)

Well enough background anyway All i can say is im glad i held out and didnt buy a few shitters along the way and that i can stop trawling internet and driving around looking at POS fords.

The plan is first to get it registered which means i have to get it roadworthied through the new laws. But its in pretty good conditon i might need to replace driver seat and tail lights and clean up some oil off the bottom and thats all i can see.

The Car: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont
Cost: $1250
Colour: Argon Silver
Engine: Inline 6cyl "Tickford" 164kw
Klms: 254,000ks (new motor unknown)
Gearbox: BTR 4 spd Auto
Diff: 3.23:1 open center (perfect for spool and Turbo)
Suspension: Munroe GT shocks and King Springs Lows, Camber Kit
Brakes: Stock
Wheels: Genuine 16inch FTR's with New Triangle tyres (haha i thought it was funny when i saw that)
Exhaust: 2.5inch Lukey system which doesnt sound too bad and a stocker
Interior: Luxury Velour interior (equivilant to calais) Electric windows, cruise, climate control, trip computer, Tinted windows

Future Mods:
Custom Equal length 6 into 1 steam pipe turbo manifold
Holset HC1 turbo (which i have) rated at about 20psi and 550hp with the 18.5 cm housing
Garrett 42mm External Wastegate (which i have) One of the best gates ever made even after 20 years
GTR Skyline FMIC (which i have) painted black ofcoarse
Turbosmart BOV (which i have)
Custom inlet manifold final design i havent settled on got a few options. depending on which manifold i use as a base
Custom 3 inch exhaust
Wahlbro in tank pump
660cc injectors
Aftermakret fuel reg (depending on what available be either turbosmart or aeromotive)
ECU will either be a wolf V4 or a haltech Spritn 500 (depending on availability at time)
Minispool

Power after mods will hopefully be in the region of 250rwkw @ 10-14psi

Pic time
IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Getting it first check over on hoist
IMG_0263.jpg

In the Facery Storage Facility next to the EA Spac Track car which will be getting turbo'd too
IMG_0267.jpg

In this picture you can see clear coming off spoiler
IMG_0268.jpg

Last edited:

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Im a big fan of these cars. Im always on the look out for the same model but the v8 fairmont Giha.. I think its a fairmont Im thinking of Maybe its the fairlane?

Good cars these, less moving parts then the Holden of the same year and as much as I hate to say it, more reliable..

Yes, plenty of room for your turbo there :)

Nice buy mate!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Cheers Mate yeah fairmont ghia's have a few more things like leather interior and came out with 8's they make a nice cruiser. I actually think these are a much nicer car to drive than equivilent holden. Dashes are much better

They also did the NL fairlane which are the long wheel base models.

I didnt really like the body style on this model (wagons look good though) but i think silver is one of the better colours out there and its starting to grow on me

Last edited:

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
another ef/l fan here ,my last car was an el xr6 white with white 19'' bf cobra rims, superlows and 5k dvd stereo setup , they go really well with the tickford motor, are you going to keep it as a sleeper with the ftr's or put rims and a xr front etc on it. clear ghia side indicators always look good on these too.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
First car I drove was a '94 EF Fairmont Ghia in that purple colour.
They go alright. Had all the electrics and cruise control and leather seats.
Was a nice drive. Until it found a tree and barbed wire fence.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Cheers Boys I'm going to leave the FTR's on and stick with the fairmont front end. XR fronts are waay too expensive. I actually looked at an ef xr6 in gunmetal grey for 1500 but it had front end damage and i priced it up as about $1500 to replace panels, bar and indicators with same colour 2nd and that wasnt including bonnet which have a minor crease on the corner.

So needless to say too much money that will be better spent on turbo. The look will remain the sleeper approach really just a nice looking stock fairmont with Heeaaapppsss of torque.

Found a boot same colour without spoiler on ebay for cheap so i'll grab that although i like the spoiler on there clear peeling off shits me.

Yeah clear side indicators will be going on when i get around to it

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
your not kidding about xr fronts being expensive ,i was always scared of breaking a headlight since the things were around $300 a side, looking foward to pics as it progresses.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
My mate had a el... #### that thing got absolutely FLOGGED haha never let him down though

Long term plans?
Induction,paint, interior etc?