Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulling to the left.. why?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi guys,

This problem started occuring a few months after I had purchased my car. It's an on going issue, and I would like to have it solved, but no one can seem to do anything about it. Which, of course, is quite unfortunate, and is making me more upset as the days go by. :cry:

Basically, my car (04 VY II S) is pulling to the left. No matter the speed, the road, the conditions, etc - there is a constant pull to the left. I have to drive with my steering wheel at a rather awkward angle, and have a hold of it at all times (sounds logical, I know, but even a split second of letting go of the wheel will send the car into the left lane, or off the road).

I've done the following in an attempt to rectify the issue:

- 3x wheel alignments, at 3 different establishments
- 4x new tires
- Rotated tires, several times
- 2x new engine mounts
- 2x new rear shocks (don't even know why I gave that a shot)
- New caster road bushes
- New sway bar rubbers
- New radial rod bushes

I'm at a complete loss as to what I could try next. This has turned out to be a rather costly, time consuming and stressful issue. Could anyone recommend any advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Can you garantee it hasn't been in an accident or even a stat write off and repaired by a half ass panel-beater, are the struts bent putting out camber?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
I can't guarantee that, no - given the fact that I know it was involved in a relatively low speed front ender - cosmetic damage to the left (coincidence?) headlight and 1/4 panel.
The car was purchased from someone I know, and I had seen the damage that was done to the car - not enough to justify structural damage, I would have thought. Do you think it's worth checking out? Where should I take the car to have such a thing looked at?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Oh noes, doesn't sound good since it was in a smash.
Take it to a RACV or whoever they are in NSW and get it checked out.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
see if the VIN has been recorded through your reg branch, otherwise what are the reasons the wheel joints are giving you for not working it out, just a thought, you have changed a lot of bushes for radial/castor rods whatever but are you sure the rods themselves are not bent, is one tyre wearing more than the other or are they wearing more on the inside or feathering, any tell-tale signs at all of anything

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not familiar with RACV? Who are they? : \

Two places were at a complete loss, one place told me that a 4 point camber kit may be worth while. Not sure why, though - I thought the VY II S came with the ability for a camber adjustment? I've really struggled to get these establishments to even speak to me a second time - they treat my car as if it is just a nuisance - too much work. I don't know. It's actually quite saddening that I cannot get to the bottom of this. : (

Just further to that; all tires seem to be wearing evenly. Not too sure if the rods themselves are bent.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
RACV is comapred with NRMA up in NSW juzo :p Totally different. RACQ in Queensland, RAC in WA

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
Did you get a print out of the wheel alignment specs? if so post it up

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
I do have a wheel alignment print out - several, in fact. I don't have access to a scanner at the moment, so I will take the latest print out into work tomorrow and scan it there. I'll post it up as soon as I can.

Say something other than cosmetic damage had occurred during the front ender, what would have been damaged exactly? Anything that I could be looking at exactly, based on the symptoms I'm experiencing?

Thanks for all the help thus far guys.