Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q&a

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
you can use fine filler over paint, that's its intended purpose, the other bog should only be used on bare metal. however i've used it on paint before and didn't run into problems. if you're putting bog over paint a quick buzz with p240 will do the trick and a hand sand in the dent for good measure. getting pinholes is mostly from the way you're mixing it up. try not to fold the bog over itself to much when mixing if you know what i mean. also it could be the way its being applied to the panel. filling pinholes can be annoying, try blowing the area of first the 'pulling' the fine filler in from at least 2 different directions, this should help push the air out that's trapped inside. even try applying it with a single sided razor blade one at a time. oh and yes bogging over hifill is fine provided it's fine filler.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
i don't think so, i've never heard of anything like that before. it would say something on the tin if it did.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dear faynt11:

i have been told elsewhere that hi-fill is hydroscopic and if a car is in hi-fill it should never be driven around due to it absorning water.

now based on that, have i totally stuffed up by wet sanding the hi-fill back before painting? i mean, it wasnt dripping wet, and by the time i got to actually laying paint on it was dry to the touch, but could it have absorbed the water from blocking back and eventually rust from underneath?

cheers again.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
it is, however, this only means you shouldn't leave it exposed to water for extended periods. there's no harm in wet rubbing! its the best way to rub. if you're really worried though, try dry blocking with p180 then buzzing with p320 using a soft pad (or interface pd if your paint supplier is a douchebag) then finish with p800 wet, it's quicker and gives the wet rub finish.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dear faynt11

crazy idea number 56438789

1. what brand of clear would you recommend to go over white so it doesnt make it yellowy, where would i get it from and how much would it be?

2. i have some coarse fleck silver, which is largely fleck, and a little bit of silver paint, and i noticed when i was playing with a model car, that if i mixed the silver with clear, it didnt change the colour, just added some really nice sparkles to it. so was thinking i could get some clear, mix in some silver paint and go over the high opacity white i just painted the VK.

would it look crap? lol. is there a fleck you can add to clear? what is it worth roughly? i have glitter but its wayyyyy too coarse and makes the clear all lumpy (i sprayed my bar fridge) plus it generally sits in the bottom of the cup and doesnt come out even, so have given up on the idea of using it.

thanks again

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
A mate of mine has been given an old van (which is OK body & mechanically) which has been used by someone to unsuccessfully learn to spraypaint. I mean this van puts the definition of orange peel into a new league. There must be at least 2mm of paint on the thing. Apparently it was done with a proper auto lacquer. He doesn't know where to start.

Question: What would you do? PS - the colour itself isn't too foul, can you possibly just cut it back somehow? OR what';s involved in the prep for a new finish coat/s?

Appreciate your help in saving this nice old van!:boxing:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR