Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quality Level. Low buck gun?

ONROADYNO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Can I use a cheap spray gun to spay 2k primer on my bumper?
What finish will I get with spraying the colour with same gun?
I don't mind colour sanding.
Cheers

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
If your going to use the same gun to spray your colour and primer make sure you use a different tip setup as colour always uses a finer tip than the colour.
Has been a while since I painted cars but when I did we used like a 2mm setup for primers/fillers and like a 1.4mm for colour/clear.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Has been a while since I painted cars but when I did we used like a 2mm setup for primers/fillers and like a 1.4mm for colour/clear.
Yeap sounds about right.

With a solid colour, yeap just get paint on there. Spend extra time blocking back and buffing. If time is worth less to you than money, its a great plan.

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I know this is an old thread but, when I was apprentice, I used a gravity fed gun called Workquip. Came with 3 tips aswell and that gun got punished big time, lasted for years too. Can still get them, I sell them at work for around $130.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I know this is an old thread but, when I was apprentice, I used a gravity fed gun called Workquip. Came with 3 tips aswell and that gun got punished big time, lasted for years too. Can still get them, I sell them at work for around $130.
That’s what I used the first time I painted. P102g. Great gun for acrylic/2k primer and does an alright job with 2k topcoat too.

Got an old (never used) satajet 90 and it’s worlds ahead but was a $1000+ gun back in the 90’s.

Hard to go past those workquip guns for a budget setup! Been using mine for odd jobs for the past 5 years without issue.

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I used it for atleast 5 years, every day. About 8-10 prime ups a day, never gave me any problems, until I went on holidays and someone used it, dropped the needle and bent it. Got a SATA primer gun, it's such a smooth gun comapred to the Workquip, but quality is alot different. Use the trusty old DeVilbiss GTI for top coats and clears, still goes alright, copped a flogging that gun.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a star and it's a damn good gun. I think they have come down in price now. Not sure if it's the same one as mine but Gasweld had Star's for $150 on sale a few weeks ago. I need a rebuild kit for mine as I had some paint stick to the gasket and trying to get it off I damaged the gasket.

Aussie Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Depending on the model, you should be able to get a service kit. We do them for a S1000/2000/4000, about $20+