Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Queensland Flood Thread [Video]

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Toowomba is screwed and Brisbane is next. They are evacuating heaps of suburbs, some highways shut and Brisbane city is about to get whooped.

Brisbane is looking very very bad!

From the engineer I know up at the new dam, it is holding quite well with controlled releases. It is lucky this dam was built or Brisbane would be in utter chaos. Hopefully this is a lesson learnt that dams are useful for more than just drinking water.

Hopefully the rain will let up for a few days just to let things retract a little. Sadly it doesn't look that way.

Good to see Aussies as usual digging deep with over 31 million in Aid raised...it is a shame the ranga leading this country cannot find billions to hand over like she can give to foreign countries :/

To politicise this more...hopefully now people will realise that climate and weather cannot be controlled. The green madness that has overcome this country has now cost lives in 2 natural disasters.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I think 8 people are confirmed dead and others confirmed missing, theres no way you could've seen that coming. QLD Helped us Victorians out a lot with the black saturday bushfires, we had (so far) more loss of life but there damage to property and infrastructure is just incredible. Time to give back.

EDIT: If you live in QLD, time to replace your door rubbers LOL

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Bugger that **** man, the power of water is huge.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
From the engineer I know up at the new dam, it is holding quite well with controlled releases. It is lucky this dam was built or Brisbane would be in utter chaos. Hopefully this is a lesson learnt that dams are useful for more than just drinking water.

""All of us in Brisbane need to pray that Wivenhoe doesn't get forced to release more water via the emergency fuse plug spillways...

Wivenhoe Dam is currently at 74.2M and the standard spillway is releasing as fast as possible - despite this it is still rising!

River Height data for Brisbane R at Wivenhoe Dam Hw #

Wivenhoe Dam emergeny 'fuse plug' spills at 75.2M as the fuse plug dissipates when it gets so high as it's built with soft material like sand so that when water reaches that point, the sand washes away allowing the water to escape:

Secondary Spillway
Type Ogee crest spillway with limited
concrete lining controlled by fuse
plug embankments
Number of Fuse Plug Embankments 3
Size of each Fuse Plug Embankment Bay 1 (centre) 34m wide
Bay 2 (LHS) 64m wide
Bay 3 (RHS) 65m wide
Initiation Levels Bay 1 (centre) EL75.7
Bay 2 (LHS) EL76.2
Bay 3 (RHS) EL76.7

The Gates are designed to be submersed after 73M on the provision the gates cannot release fast enough they use the above method!"
"

What are your thoughts on this minux? Directly quoted from another person on another site. Interesting info though, unsure how or if it will affect the situation.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65389/IDQ65389.540177.tbl.shtml

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Update 2.10pm: It's chaos in Brisbane. The Brisbane River has broken its banks, and there is flooding in many parts of the city. Commuters, frantic to get to higher ground and avoid being trapped by the waters, are trying to get out of the CBD - however, public transport is expected to shut down within an hour. This live traffic camera shows it's bumper to bumper on the Riverside Expressway.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
My Mate witnessed the shipping container floating down the raging torrent, his wife had parked the car in a different spot than usual at work as her park was taken her car was thus saved lol

i was stuck in toowoomba yesterday couldn't get home to oakey, the city was split in two as the floodway goes down the middle of the city, all ways out were also cut, i had to stay with a workmate for the night, was able to get back home today after lunch as the river near oakey went down, it since went back up this afternoon and has flooded parts of oakey, my wifes brother in dalby has water lapping under the floorboards, my wifes grandmother was rescuded by chopper at forest hill and parents are near forest hill with the house ok for the time being but water still rising, they live near a hill so will have to retreat if the water keeps rising. But Brisbane is the next big issue for queensland tonight/tomorrow.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
We were expecting this here in Lismore too. I have been dreading it and really feel for you guys. It seems we dodged a bullet. I think unfortunately I feel a little schadenfreude in me. I'll try and work on that.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Just walked downstairs

163490_10150120446221011_591311010_8092560_5366146_n.jpg