Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Queenslands Water Crisis!!

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
Hey there you guys this ones mainly for the QLD (southeast) gang but feel free to add yyour thoughts.

What your opinion of the Governments move to get rid of the referendum and just start using recycled water??

My thought... bout bloody time.

Cheers,
Brownie

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Agree with the above. Its quite obvious that the referendum was only an option because the government wanted to probe for support before making a decision. They will not make a move unless it is widely supported, regardless of whether its best for the community or not.

I really hope nobody on here is against recycled water because you'd have to be utterly STUPID to reject it. My boss jokingly refers to it as the "from your ass to your glass" campaign, and we all have a good laugh, but I am still 110% for it.

Water restrictions are stupid... conservation is not the best option. Conservation is what you do when you have less than you need, fair enough, but I think instead of trying to use less, we should be trying to create more or create an alternative. Same goes for electricity, fossil fuels, etc.

Don't get me started though!!! lol

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well they've got to do something i spose, and the sooner the better. i think people just dont like the sound of using recycled water, its doesnt conjure the most pleasant images.
from what i understand they've been doing this in places like the US for years and the water is more pure than that which is taken from reservoirs/dams because of the treatments it goes through.
i dont think the referendum isnt needed, its wasting time and if the answer ends up being "no" then the recycled water idea is just going to be forced upon us in the end anyway.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I think we should hold the referendum... anyone who says no to recycled water should have their right to vote revoked as they obviously would rather die than excercise common sense :) I reckon every election after that would actually result in a competent government haha.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Desalination plants are a far better and more widely excepted option............but governments being what they are don't want to spend the big dollars they cost.

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
Its a bandaid on a broken arm but at least its a start. Dont need a vote IMO and if you dont wanna drink it then go buy some. As if anyone will be able to tell the diff!! My 2c

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I'm not keen on drinking recycled water, but I have no problem using it for washing the car or in the garden. I think desalination is a better option for drinking water, but it uses a large amount of money and energy which would ultimately be passed on to the end user, US. I am a little happier knowing that it is going back into the dams for further processing before it ends in my glass.

I'm just glad they are doing something. Still more does need to be done as these restrictions are beyond a joke. I'm getting tired of not being able to wash my car properly with a hose while the old dear across the road gets up at 3:30am each morning to secretly hose her lawn. There are people who understand that there is a problem and others that just don't seem to care.

Jezz

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
I wouldnt use recycled water for drinking. Dont matter how pure the water is just thinking about where it come's from would make me sick while drinking it.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
they say when you drink it its been drank 16 times before you, i was a little put off by that comment , but they also say that the water is filtered more than and is cleaner than the regular tap water we use now so i dunno what the go is with that but all in all i think it is a good idea

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
what people dont realise is that county towns etc are allready drinking recycled water, you just dont realise it

eg,

Town A flushes its treated water back into the river, than, Town B 50km down stream then collects the water in the dam, people drink it gets treated and is sent to the next town etc etc,

and yes some of it gets irrigated but most of it is released back into a waterway

i personally dont have an issue with it