Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about Alloytec ventilation

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Hi guys just got a question about PCV and ventilation system on the alloytec motors. Ive attached a picture for reference (sorry about the pic quality and my diagrams).

20140619_184452.jpg
Can anyone tell me why the left hand rocker cover vents to the intake manifold and the right hand vents to the intake piping? Is there a specific reason they have done it this way?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My understanding of PC venting.

The ventilation system for the motor gets clean filtered air into the even bank engine cover from the inlet manifold, then circulates it down through the engine's crankcase area, then is removed from the engine via the odd bank engine cover towards the inlet manifold. The vacuum present in the inlet manifold creates this draw of air through the motor. The vacuum will usually be maximum at engine idle and on a closed throttle slow-down for a normally aspirated motor, and reduces as the engine loads up and builds up RPM and engine load. Long duration overlap cam timing, supercharged or turbo motors will have a different vacuum characteristic and have problems getting rid of crankcase combustion products, so most people fit catch cans in both lines. One to stop the inlet air tract becoming fouled by oil which then coats the throttle butterfly and throttle body. The other is to catch or minimize the amount of airborne material getting into the inlet manifold.

The alloytec does not have a spring loaded PCV valve in the odd bank engine cover. Just a 1.5mm hole (approx.) for the vapours to travel through. The "valve" is permanently locked into the valve cover at manufacture. I check the 1.5mm hole is clear by using a pipe cleaner to pick up any debris around the metering hole and push through into the engine cover space. Hopefully if I see gunk then it is an early warning for crankcase gunking.

By taking clean filtered inlet air, the motor is not getting solid particles such as dust into the engine's vital areas. The flow of air through the motor picks up any blow-by from the piston rings, eg. combustion gases, steam or raw fuel vapours and any oil vapours and takes them through the inlet manifold to be burnt. This is an antipollution feature, and the source of problems when an engine gunks up the PVC vent in the odd bank engine cover, and the combustion products cannot be removed from the engine.

Last edited:

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I know this I an old thread, but does anybody know how to remove the hose or top from the breather hole on drivers side valve cover to clean it out. I'm sure it's blocked as I'm getting oil blown out the fresh air side into the intake tube and in to the throttle body. And hoses on dirty side are clean. I don't want to take valve cover off if I don't have to.

MaRtYz

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Calais Sports Automatic
I know this I an old thread, but does anybody know how to remove the hose or top from the breather hole on drivers side valve cover to clean it out. I'm sure it's blocked as I'm getting oil blown out the fresh air side into the intake tube and in to the throttle body. And hoses on dirty side are clean. I don't want to take valve cover off if I don't have to.

It has a little tab you need to unclip before it pulls out.
I've provided a picture so you understand how it works. It's quite simple. I had a bit of trouble getting it off the first time I did it.

BEaSHti.jpg

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
Just looking at doing this on my VE.
With installing the catch can is it worth removing the hose direct from the drivers side bank entirely and routing the new hose to the can from there?
Or would you suggest splicing into the existing plastic outlet hose?

Then hose from the can outlet to a T piece back to the intake manifold?